1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Linking the same tree to two sets of DNA results

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Susan48, May 11, 2023.

1. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

This is a very basic question about adding an existing tree on Ancestry to another account.

My brother's DNA test results have just come in and he has not as yet compiled a tree. It would make sense to use the Direct Ancestors tree which is linked to my DNA results as obviously we share the same ancestors, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Could someone please help?

2. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

It must be in the options when you set up the DNA bit. I have both my parents DNA results in one family tree but can't remember how I did it - but it must have been straightforward as I would have remembered if I had had a problem with it!

3. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

You, if you are manager, or your brother can Go to his DNA Settings scroll down to DNA and Family Tree Linking, Connect your DNA test to your tree to use them together.
    DNA link. Then select the tree you wish to link. I have a number of family members DNA tests that I manage, as well as my own connected to the same family tree.

4. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

There must be an extra step before that. In DNA settings, it says:
    For another account to share a tree with you is not enough - the selector list I see for "DNA Link" does not include others' trees shared with me. So how do you "associate" someone else's tree with your account?

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Presumably you are managing your brother's test? Just go to DNA Settings and select your tree.

Tip: your brother will need to be in your tree.

6. Stuart

I can suggest an answer to my own question. To link your DNA to a tree you must first be in it - the tree's owner will have to have done that. Then that person must be identified as you. Go into Tree Settings, and it allows you to identify yourself in a tree shared with you. That (both steps) must be necessary; it may be sufficient too (but I have no trees shared with me I can try it out on).

7. Susan48

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. My brother is unable to let me have access to his tree and manage it just yet as he had cataract surgery yesterday, but we shall work on it when he can see better, and I shall report back.

8. Stuart

Well, you know what they say - if all else fails .... from Ancestry's Support Center, under "AncestryDNA/Linking an AncestryDNA® Test to a Tree":
    So sharing a tree as "look only", i.e. as a guest, is not good enough.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Susan48

I added my brother to my tree and he has now made me manager of his test results. I accessed his tree and was able to link my tree to his results. It was much simpler than I thought it was going to be - thanks to all the hints from everyone.