1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Latin translation query

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Sue345, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

I have a marriage entry in Latin from a parish register which has a final line which I cannot translate, any help appreciated.

1685 06 May Daniel Chittenden et Sara Janns Ambro de Ruckinge
    Per licentia nupti fuerunt Sexto die Maii 1685 in
    prodini soro quings sohdi mitro numerah

I have the gist of the first 2 lines but apart from 'soro' -sister?- and 'numerah' - number ? I am stuck on the last line.
    I may of course have not transcribed exactly as the writing was pretty poor.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Can you post a link to the image?

Could prodini be prodivi?

3. Sue345

Sorry, no image as I went to the records office in Maidstone, Kent.
    Parish is Ruckinge, Kent

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Since, as was common, the words may be abbreviated, with omitted letters indicated by a line above, I am wondering if the Latin may be:

in productione summae quinque solidi ......... (not sure about the last two words)

translated as:

on production of the sum of five shillings ..........

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Sue, I've had a look in my Latin/English dictionary and as you say the transcription is all important, I cannot find any of the words in there.
    prodini........
    soro..............soror is sister
    quings..........quin/quinque is five, quingenti is 500
    sohdi............solide is for certain, solido is to make firm
    mitro..........
    numerah....numeratum is to pay, numera is to count
    I've had a look at the record on Ancestry and as you say it is difficult to read, this last phrase is written after each marriage entry, I think that "soro" could be "loco" which means to place/put or give in marriage, sorry apart from that I give up. :confused:

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Having now located the image at Ancestry that Heather mentions (it's attached to someone's tree), and comparing the different entries, the Latin seems to be:

in praemii loco quinque solidi mihi numerati

Which translates as:

in place of the premium five shillings paid to me

Praemium could perhaps mean fee, so possibly the couples were paying their 5 shillings in lieu of the church fee, or maybe to settle the fee.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Sue345

Thank you all for your help. I didn't know there was an image on an Ancestry tree, I braved the M25 to get to Maidstone and spent a happy 2 days trawling the records there. All my paternal side are from Kent so it makes sense for me to make the trip every so often.