1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Knighthoods

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Gowanleics, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Gowanleics

Gowanleics LostCousins Star

A cousin of my wife has listed two ancestors (father and son) in Scotland who have the prefix "Sir". No sources are shown. Is there a website or catalogue which lists honours such as these? The dates would be 1600 -1650. I'm pretty certain neither of the people are actually related, but it would be nice to be sure.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

This Wikipedia page is a good place to start.

3. I have a man in one of my trees who was made a Sir in 1908. I have a note in his profile 'Date obtained from British History Online, I cannot locate an announcement'.
    He was an Alderman of the City of London before he was knighted and the entry in BHO is mostly about that.
    Not all Knights are Baronets, this Wiki entry is a bit more comprehensive.
    This is another one worth looking at.

You could try entering the name of the ancestor into Google followed by Scottish Knight, or simply Knighthood.

4. Gowanleics

Gowanleics LostCousins Star

Thank you for these suggestions, I have tried the Google search, no luck, but I'll keep trying different search criteria.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Very true, but the questioner said that father and son were both described as 'Sir', which suggests that it was hereditary. Also, if it wasn't a hereditary title the chances of finding out about them is much reduced.

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

On a slight diverse -and not too serious note - I came across the same thing when exploring long ago the Australian arm of a quite famous pioneering family with the surname 'Humphrey' (singular). The connection was convoluted and tied to the spouse of my Australian nephew, where the Humphrey line was quite overpowering. I came across an Arthur Sir Humphrey and although clearly the 'Sir' was not a prefix, I could not imagine anyone being given Sir as a middle name. So I explored further and indeed back to their British origins (I was helped in this by another researcher who I got to know well, and he was a direct descendant of the Humphrey family from Wingrave in Buckinghamshire)

Long story short, he revealed that the the original pioneer Joseph Fleet Humphrey and wife Frances (Rodwell) emigrated in 1847 with two daughters and began the Humphrey clan settling in South Australia. Their next child, was baptised John Sirr Humphrey and I can't recall whether we even satisfactorily explained the unusual second name, but it did go some way to explaining how one of the 'r's got dropped down the line in a baptism record for Arthur Sir Humphrey. It was pleasing to note he was recorded as Arthur Sirr Humphrey on his gravestone in Avoca, Victoria, and it was his line that began the connection to the spouse of my Nephew.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. There is a list of Scotland's Barons here.