1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Key for reply icons anywhere?

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Charlotte26, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Charlotte26

Charlotte26 LostCousins Member

Is there a key to the reply icons anywhere? I am wary of using them in case they don't mean what I think they do! Thanks

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Great question Great question x 1
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Charlotte,

Do you mean the icons above the message box when you reply to a post? If you hover your cursor over an item or symbol, a "hovertip" will appear giving further information. This applies to other symbols and words on the Forum.

3. Charlotte26

Charlotte26 LostCousins Member

Unfortunately that doesn't work when using an ipad, but thanks.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes you're correct, there is less functionality when using the iPad.

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Reading Charlotte's questions and Tim's answers makes me grimace and is so, so reminiscent of iPad related conversations with my sister and brother-in-law; and also with my daughter. We used to email back and forth without any problem when everyone used the same media - a Windows pc or laptop or even an Android device - but since they now prefer their iPad's things are quite different. (Incidentally for the record as a true Microsoft man -someone has to be - I do not have or want an iPad). So when I ask my daughter what all the hieroglyphics contained within an email she has sent - on a par with -but nothing like D*/w-^? - I am told they are 'Smilies' although I believe iPad speak for them is something quite different. I know how she loves her Smilies but for now they are verboten!

With my sister and brother-in-law I have insuperable problems sending them embedded jpegs or multiple jpeg attachments which I send via Picasa (owned by Google) via Gmail. After every attempt Gmail will send innumerable 'UNABLE TO SEND -will retry 3 more times- reports. After 3 such attempts I invariably get a FAILED notice. So now forewarned as to what will happen I email to say photos are on the way and suggest they use the laptop to open them. I have no problem sending them to my other sister in Australia using a PC or laptop.

I have other niggles with Microsoft v Apple (Mac or iPad) two way communications (or the way things perform in each) and that goes with sending messages from my Windows phone to an iPhone. It seems "Never the twain shall meet" :( (I hope the 'smilie' translates for Charlotte)

But for Charlotte's benefit the reply icons reading left to right stand for the following: Thanks, Agree, Disagree, Useful, Creative, Out of date, Misleading. I won't bother explaining the smilies!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Don't forget Great Question, which comes first of all on the left, but presumably only after questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  7. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Good Tip?......(misleading Bob);)

8. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Come on Bob, you missed one out, Thanks, Agree, Disagree, Good Tip, Useful, Creative, Out of date, Misleading.:eek:

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I think it was these that were being questioned.

upload_2015-10-22_8-54-15.png

From the left.

Bold, Italics, Underline,
    Text Colour, Font Sixe, Font Family,
    Link, Unlink,
    Alignment
    Unordered List, Ordered List, Outdent, Indent
    Smilies, Image, Media, Insert
    Drafts, Undo, Redo
    Remove Formatting, Use BB Code Editor

10. Bob Spiers

Thanks Heather -mea culpa- seems I missed out 'Good tip' (How long has that been there? -that's rhetorical by the way). Mind you it was a good job you posted when you did as it would have taken me a month of Sunday's to cotton on to Emjay's posting?:D

11. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

To say nothing of Great Question, which only appears from time to time (as I pointed out earlier)!!

12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

'Great question' only appears at the start of a discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thanks. That's that little point cleared up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

My Hudl does not show the "hovertip" so it is not only the IPad.
    I think it is any type of tablet that has this failing.
    They are useful especially when you are away from home, but I do prefer the computer.
    So many people make total use of a tablet, but it causes so many other problems for the rest of us.
    I am with you Bob.

15. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

With you on that. My mobile(Android)is not good with the icon functionality, and the performance I have to go through to use facebook is just ridiculous.

16. Bob Spiers

So it appears Android tablets are as bad for windows application functionalities; interesting! I wonder if it applies to the old or newer android operating systems as I always thought Google's Android related well to Windows (for Windows read Microsoft). Each version is given a fanciful 'sweetie' names like 'KitKat' or 'Jelly Bean' and before that 'Ice Cream Sandwich', 'Honeycomb' and similar earlier versions (I am not making these up they really are the names given to each version of Android - check out the Android story here) Android

I own to an early Dell Android tablet (quite heavy as many of the earlier tablets were) - I think it has the Ice Cream sandwich version but it could be an earlier one - and it is kept on my bedside cabinet. Some will smile (recalling another posting about my nocturnal crossword habits) as its functions nowadays merely to Google something when my reference books let me down and my computers are sleeping).:rolleyes: Hearing good reports from a friend about Tesco's 'Hudl' (the Jelly bean version -although tweaked to meet Tesco's specification) I was tempted to buy one, but never did. My wife's Kindle Fire HD runs Amazon's 'Appstore' operating system, but with its numerous free tools it is able to run Android Apps, so might as well be one. She seems to have no trouble communicating with laptops nor does the friend using a 'Hudl'.

So it must just be functionality clashes and again I wonder if the newer Kitcat version (or whatever is now in the pipeline) will resolve this problem? It should only be a matter of time, but cannot really say the same about Apple and Microsoft; they are a long way off becoming bed fellows.

17. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The problems described aren't so much a limitation of the operating system but the fact that it's a touch-screen device. With a mouse or trackpad you can "mouse over" icons to see what they do, and if it's a PC you've got two mouse buttons (so there are at least three ways of interacting with an icon).

I rarely use my iPad 2 (which I got as a competition prize) because for most purposes my Android phone does everything I want. If I had an iPhone I would probably find the iPad more useful, though I'd have to upgrade to a newer model for full functionality.

However not everyone wants a large-screen phone (mine has a 5.5in screen): I'm some people would prefer to have a smaller smartphone and a separate tablet. Smaller Android tablets can cost well under £100 - the new Amazon Fire 7 costs under £50!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. Bob Spiers

Correction to my previous posting: I understand the latest Android version is 5.1.1. 'Lollipop' not 'KitKat' 4.4 which was the previous version and with several 'marks' of improvement before that, 'Jelly Bean'. It is of course possible to upgrade to a later 'mark' within the same Version, but not always possible to upgrade to newer versions.

19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Bob,my android phone is 'old' (htc Desire) I may have got ice ceam on it one time;)

20. Bob Spiers

I don't know about ice cream Emjay, but you surely are a scream, but I like you!. :) Not really knowledgeable on the different types of mobile phones so I'll take your word about its age. It will however need to be very old to beat my wife's 'Simple phone' (yes that's it's name and Vodafone's own brand). It does what is says on the tin and is small and chunky, and ONLY used as a mobile PHONE (when she bothers to switch it on if out). It can be used for TEXTS of course, she just needs to take her time in trying to 'sus' out how open or send her own and refuses to let me show her how.

I offered her my old phone Sony Xperia (the small version) which is light years ahead of her own, but she steadfastly refuses to change. As for my latest phone it is as I have posted previously a Microsoft 'Windows' phone (previously Nokia Lumia until Microsoft acquired the brand) and I am full of admiration for it and even get to grips with Cortana. I will almost certainly upgrade to a later version of Lumia when Windows 10 is pushed out onto mobile phones in the UK. But has said many times before, each to his own.