1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Issues with trying to delete facts

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by jorghes, May 25, 2018.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I'm hoping that someone can help me out with this.

I have been attempting to clean up my main tree using FT Analyser and then cleaning up FTM as I go. I have been deleting a lot of "unknown spouses", duplicate facts I never created and other random things, but there is one thing that stumps me.

I have discovered a large number of phantom marriages - i.e. marriages which no longer have people attached to them and are just sitting in my database.

Does anyone know how to delete them?

Could I just change them into a new and random fact set and then delete that set of facts?

Any ideas??

2. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Have they just become disconnected from a family jorghes? Or is it just a date and place with no names attached?

3. jorghes

I would say that they're from people that I have deleted, they're just dates and places with nothing else attached.

4. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

That's probably the way I would do it though it is still tedious with the selection process - create a custom shared fact "_phantom", which will appear at the start of the list, and change the unwanted facts to that, then delete the custom fact.

However, due to the way I update trees, that is a convenient way for me to do it.

Phil

5. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I suppose it depends on how many of these random dates you have in your tree, if it is just the one or two then I would simply delete the dates and hope that fixes the issue.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi, This is the way I use: On the Person Tab, select the person you want to remove (2nd red Box)
    upload_2018-5-27_11-21-32.png

Click on Person, Attach/Detach Person and then Detach Selected Person.
    upload_2018-5-27_11-24-56.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. jorghes

Thanks Tim - I have been detaching the "unknown" spouses, it's been taking a while and it's a pain!

8. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It is, but you feel so much better once it's done! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jorghes

Most definitely!