1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Isle of Wight Family History Society

Discussion in 'More Hampshire Resources' started by Andrew Bannister, Mar 20, 2013.

1. IWFHS A very well-run website, with free searchable databases for Isle of Wight subjects:

BMD-particularly valuable because it shows ages at death and mother's maiden name when the GRO lists do not

Monumental Inscriptions

War Memorials

and others

As the descendant of an IoW family, I have found it well worth my while to join the Society - the officers and members proved very helpful when I was starting out

Andrew

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Heilan Lass

Heilan Lass LostCousins Member

Another interesting site for the Isle of Wight is the Isle of Wight Genealogy Links. It contains numerous links to collections which could be of interest to those with ancestors who lived on the island or who have connections there. In addition to the databases on the IWFHS site referred to by Andrew, it gives links (too many to mention individually) for databases such as a list of Customs Officers who served on the island, IoW Bankruptcy Court, Hearth Tax, War memorials (with names), and shipwrecks around the island (some with passenger lists). Well worth exploring if you have and hour to spare!

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Peter356

Peter356 LostCousins Member

If your ancestors were baptised, married or buried in Shalfleet, Isle of Wight this site contains transcriptions of parish records 1607-1837 and other datasets.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2015