1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Is this the most useless Ancestry Hint of all time?

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Whoops Peter, can't let you get away with that. Personal opinions are based on life experience(s) and facts absorbed along the way. What you are implying is that some personal opinions do not accord with your own. But there is enough information disseminated -and not just in the Forum but online from umpteen sources - for people to form their own opinions and make their own decisions. My own opinions do not accord with yours in entirety, nor yours mine; but they are OUR opinions. This is true in all spheres of life.

As it happens I do not agree with atHinNZ's views on DNA but to paraphrase an old saying - "I may not agree with their views, but will defend to the death* their right to say them".

*death may be taking things a little far in this context admittedly:)

2. And just exactly what have you gleaned about my views that you don't agree with? I have not expressed an opinion of DNA, I have simply said I am not interested in it.

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Well that is a viewpoint in itself, and the one on which we differ. Yes I resisted taking a DNA test for ages, delayed all the more when encountering the jargon that went with it, and not in the least tempted by 'ethnicity' which attracted so many. But in time I came to the conclusion that taking a DNA test might help my research in some areas, so took the test, and have not regretted doing so; and yes it has helped my research, and the same with other DNA Trees I manage.

But all that said, I resist involvement in the Centimorgan (what an awful name) Segment 'Cognoscenti' (so loved by others in the Forum) and with no sibling or first cousin involvements, happily interrogate matches and conduct searches in my own way and assign Groups and make Notes along the way. It is different from ordinary research, but it can and does complement same.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Quite right too - the amount of DNA shared between cousins is rarely of any significance.