1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Is it me or is it Ancestry?

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by sunflower, Aug 27, 2021.

1. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Good spot, Peter, should have been "tab" :oops:

2. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Showing my ignorance again, but what's the difference between a new tab and a new window?

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Tabs appear within the same browser window, so you can quickly go from one to another. I keep all of the key websites permanently open in different tabs - this is just a small selection:

upload_2021-9-3_10-50-49.png

The main advantage of separate browser windows is that you could have two or more windows open on the screen at the same time (if there's a way of doing that with tabs I'd like to know about it).

But the simplest thing is to try each of them out - then the difference will be obvious.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. You can drag a tab out but this only works with one tab, I tried to do two and they joined up which is the same as having two instances of Chrome open.
    I hope that's clear, it's a bit difficult to explain.

5. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

It appears that it may be available: Firefox through an extension - "Side View", Chrome via the "Split Screen Extension" and Vivaldi through the built-in "tab tiling".

This is based on a quick look at search results, though!

6. peter

I've sometimes dragged a tab out by mistake, but it created a new window and I couldn't put it back again. Maybe you have a tip for that as well?

7. You can drag it back again by grabbing the tab and sliding it along into place. That works for me.

8. peter

Thanks. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but it only works for me so long as I keep the mouse button held down - unless I put the tab back into place, as soon as I release the button the tab becomes a new window. If all I wanted to do was a quick comparison between screens that would be fine, but if I wanted to copy information across from one tab to the other (eg setting up a new payment from my bank account) I'd run out of hands.

However a Google search revealed how to merge tabs from one Chrome window into another, which is just what I need.

9. That's what I meant by 'grabbing the tab' sorry if it wasn't clear. Not to worry, you've found out how to do what you want and I am happy with the way I do it.

10. peter

Now I've managed to get it to work even if I release the mouse button. But I'm not quite sure why it works some times and not others.

11. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I've successfully opened a match in a new tab, but after checking shared matches, trees, etc, and going back to the original tab, the new match I've just checked still has the blue button indicating it's unviewed. So unless I'm looking at a match I've already viewed and want to check again, I shall carry on looking at NEW matches in the same tab and not in a new one.

12. peter

That's right - because it hadn't been viewed at the time you carried out the search (the same is true if you use this technique at Findmypast). But the next time the same match appears it won't have the blue button (similarly, the next time you see the same search result at Findmypast it will have a tick against it).

It's a very small and very temporary inconvenience in exchange for a useful time-saving and a significant reduction in the load on Ancestry's servers. You can, of course, refresh the page at any time.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Perhaps it's the way you hold your tongue? :D
    It's sometimes difficult for me to do too. I think it's all to do with keeping it on a straight path across the tabs, if that makes sense!