1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Is Ancestry telling you things you already know?

Discussion in 'Online family trees' started by At home in NZ, Nov 30, 2021.

1. I have a 2nd great grand aunt who was born in 1828 in Birmingham, she died at the age of 2.
    In my tree I have her exact birth date, the name of the church and the date of her baptism. I have her death record and the date and place of her burial.

I have an email from Ancestry with the subject line of 'Is there more to discover about (I'll use her initials of H S)?
    The body of the email it tells me:
    during H's lifetime people with her last name had an average of 6 children.
    she was one of 3,746 children born in Birmingham in 1828
    H lived to be 2, while the average lifespan of other people born in Birmingham in 1828 was 51

Followed by an invitation to revisit my tree. Which I did, then I scratched my head and :rolleyes:.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I am not a lover of pseudo statistics at the best of time, but this sort I refer to as 'Bilge Water'. In short, useless twaddle on a par with sitting at the roadside noting the colour of the cars passing in a busy high street for an hour and equating the information on a national scale. It is just another attempt by Ancestry to provide statistical information in the hope someone, somewhere finds it useful. I kick such emails into touch very quickly usually accompanied by loud utterances and my wife asking..."who are you talking to?".:confused:

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

If it isn't that it is repeated emails about very close family about whom I know far more than they do! I suppose it is computer generated so can't be helped.

4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

The only emails I ever get from Ancestry are those about my subscription and those telling me if someone has messaged me. This is despite me having everything ticked on the 'email options' page. Actually, if it's just this sort of rubbish, I'm not worried that I don't get these emails.