1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

IRELAND XO

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Bob Spiers, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Ireland XO 'Reaching out' (an Irish Genealogy site for those who do not know) is - on Friday 29th January from 1pm to 5pm Irish time - which coincides with GMT so the same as the UK - is hosting ...and I quote ..."our first live Expert Genealogy Session via the Ireland Family History Facebook page". The URL address where it is all explained is quite long but hopefully you will find here: IrelandXO If that fails just try www.irelandxo.com and seek out their hosting session.

There is a link on the page that will take you to their Facebook 'Ireland Family History' page and from there you can participate during the session and ask questions concerning your Irish ancestry. I have used Ireland XO for quite a few years and even without their occasional hosting events, have received untold help, particularly about Galway townlands and parishes that concern my own research. If anyone is unsure whereabouts in Ireland their ancestors originated, I recommend you participate in the session where I know you will receive expert advice.

Even if you can't make the session, you can always join (it is free) and post questions for which you seek answers; that's how I started.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Bob, this is very interesting. My husband's family originated from Killeshandra in Co Cavan and the very first message was referring to this village (different names). I will be following up on this site, thanks.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. In the IrelandXO website, they now have a guide to the best Irish genealogy and archive repositories.
    This is an extract from their email announcing this new guide:
    "We have compiled a list of the most important Irish genealogical resources to help you understand and navigate what's available. This can be a great starting point for someone at the beginning of their research as it explains what can be found and where. For the more experienced researchers there are some lesser known resources that might help break down some stubborn walls!"
    Another extract:
    "We have tried to include as many free resources as possible and, as always, are on the lookout for new leads in Irish genealogy."

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes thanks I too have that email and echo all you (and XO) say. Ireland XO is one of my favourite Irish sites, as is Roots Ireland. I am also looking forward to FMP's promise to add 10 million (an amazing number) of Irish Catholic Parish Records during March. Irish research has always been difficult for beginners and doesn't get much easier even for those with more experience. I am at a sort of half-way house but with so many brick walls, the more resources one has to explore the better say I.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Ah, but what a sense of achievement when you do make a breakthrough:). (I just wish that my husband's second cousins in Ireland showed a bit more interest. Lovely people but very laid back.)