1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Invented Middle Names

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Valzie, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Valzie

Valzie LostCousins Member

Unlike 3 of his 7 brothers and sisters, my grandfather, Watson Rodger (b. Forfar 1887), had no middle name. Obviously, this was a sore point with him, so he decided to create one for himself. One of his older brothers was named James Bowman Rodger (I still don't know the origin of the name Bowman...), so Grandpa, who knew French and by then had a wife who spoke the language fluently, decided to go one better and took to calling himself Watson Beaumont Rodger.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I have a fourth cousin twice removed called Robert Lee Valentine Bousfield, born in Lowdham, Nottinghamshire in 1845. According to his birth certificate, his name was simply Robert Bousfield. However, Robert emigrated to the United States, where he re-invented himself - and his name! Valentine is clearly after the day he was born, 14 February, and the Lee is apparently after the American general, Robert E. Lee (1807-1870).

3. Valzie

Especially amusing to me, Gillian, because I was saved from a dire first name (Eugènie) because the doctor pointed out to my mother that it was St Valentine's Day! ( I still have the dire first name but mercifully never have to use it...)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Lots of people gave themselves middle names in the late 19th and early 20th centuries - but it also happened earlier. A relative of mine, Emerson Read, added the middle name 'Cornwall' - presumably because at the time there was a local bigwig called Emerson Cornwall.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

My Scottish grandmother gave herself a middle name, as did her younger sister. And I had trouble tracing her death as she had altered her first name from ordinary Mary to the more romantic Marie. Or perhaps her daughter, who registered the death, preferred the less ordinary name?

6. Valzie

Peter, thank you! I didn't realize... Haven't found any other examples in my family tree.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  7. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

When I discovered that my mother's sister, my Aunty Winnie, was actually baptised Clara Winifred but always referred to as Winifred Clara, my dear mother told me it was because she couldn't officially have the initials of "W.C":oops:!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Valzie

Margery, when I lived in Texas years ago, friends had a cat whose name, as pronounced by them, was W.C. I thought maybe he was named after W.C. Fields... but it turned out that his name was actually Debussy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. peter

A great story - but in case anyone reading this might take it seriously, I should point out that it is (of course) not true.

10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Back to my 4 c 1 r Robert Lee Valentine Bousfield: today I discovered that his son-in-law in the US was called Benjamin Franklin Rist. So it obviously ran in the family.

11. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

This all makes me think I should make up a middle name for myself?

I don't have one :( because my mother had trouble even thinking of a Christian name.. Expecting to produce a boy she was totally floored when I turned out to be a girl :eek:. The family name of David Charles would obviously have not been appropriate (although now it seems anything goes) so in desperation my mother asked my aunt to think of a name, and she came up with Carla. My mother tells me that my aunt was going out with an Austrian gentleman at the time and Carla was his sister's name! It was an unusual name back in the late 1950's and no-one could think of a middle name to go with it.

So there you have it! I have only one name, but of course I am open to suitable suggestions :D (maiden name Martin, married name Allen)

12. peter

Something beginning with "I"?

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

That's really weird. Our youngest daughter is Carla Ilona. C I!! I had wanted her to be Ilona Carla, but when she was born she had thick almost black hair and my husband told me (half dead as I was!) that all Ilona's are fair so she'll have to be Carla. I agreed and Carla Ilona she has been ever since, even though her hair turned fair pretty soon. Her daughter is Ilona, so we got the name in the end, which comes from Carla's godfather, who was Hungarian. Ilona is both a Hungarian and a Finnish name. My husband is Finnish, which explains the choice of name.

14. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I am sure that I have read of a person named Davida (a bit like Nigella, I suppose).

15. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Why stop at one middle name?

How about Carla Anna Rowena Laura Allen? ;)

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I love them all :D.

Looking at Peter's suggestion reminds me of the importance of checking how the initials of a full name look before making up your mind what to call your children! My son has always moaned at me for giving him the names Michael Robert, which obviously are the initials M R. It means he will often get a letter addressed to Mr MR G..... which makes him actually growl out loud (and yes I do mean growl!) "Mister mister" he mutters. I honestly never thought about it when his name was chosen :oops:.

17. Prairie Girl

Prairie Girl LostCousins Member

In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, where my father-in-law grew up, many of the men had the same name. I'm sure every man on the island was called William, John or Donald! They were baptised with only a single name, but were often known by their father's name as well, as in Willie John, for William son of John. I spent weeks trying to find William John in the records, before I figured that out.

18. Valzie

And in francophone parts of New Brunswick, you find names like "Marie à Jean-Pierre" based on the same thinking: "Jean-Pierre's [daughter] Marie".

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1