1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Information about England BMD registers

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by LornaJ, May 11, 2016.

1. LornaJ

LornaJ New Member

My Ancestor is in the Free BMD register as Rose Brusla Fullagar, Rose Brusla Fullegar and Rose Brusla Taylor in Jun quarter of 1846 Maidstone, Kent. I sent for the certificate which names her as Rose Brusla and says her father is George Taylor and her mother Maria Fullagar.
    I know from other documents (marriage records, passenger lists, probate, obituaries) that I have the correct person but her actual name was Rose Druscilla Fullagar. I thought when I sent for the certificate that I would see the name as it was first written but obviously somewhere along the line there has been a misinterpretation of the name Druscilla.
    Could someone please tell me if the original written registration would still exist and how I could access it? What are the processes that a record goes through? Obviously this record is not at the GRO, or is it? I have been unable to find a baptism so couldn't read a parish register. I am in Australia and cannot get to Kent PRO. Thanks for any help. Lorna

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The original written registration should still exist, and be held by the local registrar. However, technically you cannot access it, even if you could visit in person.

You could try contacting the local registrar and explaining the problem, but unless you obtained the certificate locally, they may not be willing to check for you. At least, they may not be willing to advise you of the details in the record they hold, but they may be willing to say if they think the GRO have misinterpreted their handwriting.

If there is an error in the GRO record, and the middle name has been misread, then the local registrar can get this corrected with them.

3. The written list of births registered in 2 qtr of 1846 is in Ancestry and it clearly shows Rose Brusla Fullagar registered at Maidstone in vol 4 page 347. I think but am not certain that the birth certificate would have been issued from the list. The GRO UK website has lots of information that may help.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The index to births at Ancestry (and FreeBMD etc) was compiled by the GRO. Births were registered at the local register office, then the local registrar sent the details through to the general register office quarterly. The GRO then compiled their own national index.

So an error could have occurred when the local registrar compiled the quarterly details for the GRO or the GRO themselves could have made the error, the latter probably being more likely.

There are local bmd sites with indexes based on the local registrars' records, including one for the Kent Registration service, but they are not necessarily complete and this birth is not showing up in a search on the Kent site.

5. LornaJ

LornaJ New Member

Thank you for your answers. Pauline has set out the process for me which has really helped. As I feel there has been an error I will contact the Kent Archives office and also check the GRO website, I didn't realise they had useful information.

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

She is also shown as Rosabella Fullager* in an IGI search; Christening: 30 August 1846 Linton, Kent: Mother: Maria Fullager.

*Ancestry also shows her as Rosabella Fullager -in addition to Rosa Brusla - and relates it to the Family Search site, Film No. 1786624 (Item 3,p10)

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  7. LornaJ

LornaJ New Member

Bob, no wonder you are Lost Cousins Star. Why didn't I think to search for Rosabella? Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  8. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

Reading the current newsletter about occasional copies of registrations I looked her up in the new GRO search.

She is listed twice as Rose Brusla Taylor in the 2nd quarter of 1846, first as MAIDSTONE Volume 05 Page 347 and second as MAIDSTONE Volume 05 Page 348 Occasional Copy: A. There may be differences between the original registration and the later re registration, normally I think they would only issue the later certificate unless you asked specifically for the first one. Interestingly perhaps the GRO search does not list the mothers maiden name although, as you have a copy, she is on the certificate.

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

This is not necessarily true - many local registrars are able to provide certificates which are facsimile copies of their register entries, just as most certificates and all PDFs provided by the GRO are copies of their register entries.