1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Incongruity issues

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by jorghes, Apr 12, 2020.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

So during my usual "ignore" process of superfluous hints that had appeared after I checked a part of my tree I hadn't visited in a while (in order to reply to a question from another Ancestry user), I noticed an issue with a member of my tree.

This member is Hannah Maria Dawbarn, I can't quite figure out what happened to her, other than the information I had previously is incorrect.

Hannah Maria was born on 6 Feb 1813 to Richard Dawbarn, and his wife Mary Wood. Richard was a member of Non-conformist congregation of Baptists in Wisbech at the time of Hannah Maria's birth, and her register can be found in Ancestry's collection of Non-conformists registers. (There were a lot of Dawbarns in this Baptist community, pretty much all of them are related to each other!).

In 1839, Hannah married in Wisbech, but to whom, who knows! There are several choices according to the listing in the register: John Hodson, Thomas Beck, Richard Waller and William Ellis.
    - searching so far has not brought up any possible census returns for any of these with a Hannah combination except for the note below. **No record of her marriage is in the non-conformist records that I can find, and no Dawbarns are present in the Cambridgeshire records on FMP, since Wisbech seems to be missing from their parish records for Cambridgeshire.

Previously, I had thought that she had married John Hodson, and there seemed to be some matching census records of a John Hodson and a Hannah with a birth date which was correct (but an incorrect birthplace). However, this John Hodson married a Hannah Walters, who had a child called Betsy. (Birth records with the mothers maiden name does not much even a mispelt Dawbarn) - that an Hannah was a Walters in 1841, and must have married this John after 1841, not in 1839.

Searching for an appropriate set of census records for Hannah and whichever husband she had seems to be an exercise in futility. I suppose there is a possibility that she died before the 1841 census, or is known as something else in the census, but I would love the solve this tricky little mystery.

To add to the pleasure of searching for this family is that the surname Dawbarn is frequently misspelt on records (Dawborn, Dowborn, Dambarn to name a few.)

To add to this conundrum, Hannah Maria's brother, Henry and his wife, Kerenhappuch Crockett, named one of their daughters Hannah Maria - this particular Hannah Maria Dawbarn was born in 1856 and married a Joseph George Bycroft (with all appropriate matching documentation).

Any ideas, thoughts of where to search or suggestions on how to approach it would be much appreciated!

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Well, it seems Hannah did not marry Thomas Beck or Richard Waller. There are several Beck births registered in Wisbech in the 1840s, mother Lilley, which fits Richard Waller marrying Ann Lilley in the BMD list of spouses for the 1839 marriage. Likewise there are several Waller children, mother Stanger, confirming that Richard Waller's bride was Charlotte Stanger.

So that just leaves Hannah Maria Dawbarn and Margaret Dickerson marrying John Hodson and William Ellis in Wisbech in first qtr 1839. But are you sure this is your Hannah? I realise, given her name and age, this seems likely, but could she have married before civil registration? Are you sure she married at all? Could she have died young? If parish records for Wisbech are missing from FMP, presumably you couldn't find her death there either.

Another thought: as Wisbech is right on the border of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, could a search of Norfolk records yield anything useful?

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

According to the Lincolnshire Chronicle of 8 Feb 1839, Mr John Hodson of Truro, Cornwall married Miss Hannah Maria Dawbarn of Wisbech at Wisbech General Baptist Chapel.

EDIT: Looks like the couple are in Truro in the 1841 census

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Good spot! Another success for the newspaper archive at FMP - though it doesn't help that Hannah's name is transcribed as 'Daivbarn' (but clearly Dawbarn in the original).

5. jorghes

Ah splendid, do you have the Reference for that entry? then I can add it in and go back to what I originally had in with her marriage to John Hodson.

I did say that it was frequently misspelt, didn't I? You can't search for anything on this family without giving a bit of leeway for the possibility that the name was misspelt!
    - I take a lot of my information for this family from a lot of research done by previous relatives, and occasionally find a few errors, I thought that this might have been one of them!

Thanks so much both of you, I can fix that little error within my tree.

6. jorghes

Update:

Found the 1841 census record in Truro, looks correct as it shows a "Martha Dawbarn" with them - which is most likely Hannah Maria's younger sister Martha, who I hadn't found in the 1841 census before her marriage in 1843.

I then found an applicable 1851 census entry, also in Cornwall (Kea this time). No sign of an 1861 census entry yet, unfortunately.

When searching for Hannah Maria a couple of links show up to a Hannah Maria Hodson with an appropriate birth year who died in the 1880s and was buried a Quaker. Not sure if this is the same person as yet.

7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I don't think there is a reference as such but the full title of the newspaper is "The Lincolnshire Chronicle and General Advertiser", the date is Friday February 8th 1839 and the item is on page 3 column 1, under the heading "Stamford, Friday, February 8th" and "Married". What I wrote above is not a direct quote but includes almost all the information except that I omitted the date of the marriage which was "on the 2d inst.", so the 2nd Feb 1839.

8. jorghes

Thanks!