1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Imminent Ancestry DNA Update?

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Sue_3, Sep 13, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I meant that the dropdown menus work. It would be helpful if you told us what set-up you were using when they stopped working for you.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

That seems to happen when the Ancestry home page doesn’t load fully, as it sometimes seems not to. It seems that menu bar at the top of the page doesn’t load properly, and then some of the drop-downs don’t work as they should. So far it has only happened to me with the home page, and if I go to another page the drop-downs work fine.

I’ve seen this issue reported by others elsewhere, and there’s nothing to suggest it’s peculiar to any particular browser or set-up.

3. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

System: Linux (opensuse 15.3), Firefox 78.13.0esr, Chromium (non-propriety Chrome) 92.0.4515.189

Looking at the page content, the program are fed with differently coded "menu" elements (which may be due to the rendering engines being different). However, this problem has only been seen since the change in the way searches display, with the "pencil" symbol to enable changes to be made to the search parameters.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I can't reproduce the problem using Windows 10 with Chrome, Opera, or Edge. I don't have any other browsers installed on this computer.

On my phone using Android and Chrome the site presents differently, but the menu works as it should.

5. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I agree.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

As for me in W10/Edge. And "Works fine" means it works for me as before, in other words: have no idea what is troubling you so must be down to your (likely non Windows) set up I would think.

7. I agree. I am also W10 with Chrome. I have no issues whatsoever with Ancestry.

The problems I had the other day with the error message have gone away and I'm still using the UK site, not the AU site which Ancestry said I should use.

8. PhilGee

Just run my Windows 10 (virtual machine) system and Firefox 83.0 exhibited the same problem. There was an update to 92.0.1 available, so installed that and a quick test shows "normal" operation.

9. Bob Spiers

I'd agree with the Browser not being responsible, but the set up (none Windows, and W10 in particular) is the most likely culprit, that and your comment about the Home page not fully loading.

10. Bob Spiers

Yes gave up on Firefox a while back, too many updates which if ignored or unaware that one existed, caused it to play 'silly devils' and there were too many for comfort . Of late Opera (normally constant and working fine) seems to be updating regularly, but, unlike Firefox, they seem to go through without problem. I mostly use Edge (which has a Chrome base anyway) and find it the most trouble free...but what do I know?;)

11. PhilGee

Too much trouble to change from firefox and the options for change are limited anyway, chromium being a non-option - plus I have nine firefox profiles, each geared to a particular function (eg no "shopping" use in the general profile).

I have now changed to a less stable source for Firefox I had used before - it makes the latest version (currently 92.0.1) available - and that is now giving the "expected" results.

12. Sue700

Sue700 LostCousins Star

I have just looked at my revised ethnicity, which has not changed much. It gives 84% Wales (78-98%), concentrated on Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire/Glamorganshire. That's really very good. I would expect about 87% or 7/8. Then it suggests 9% Ireland and 7% Scotland. Nothing from England. As far as I know, my remaining ancestors were all English, mostly Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire areas without a trace of Irish or Scottish. Then it gives me relations from Pennsylvania and Ohio. Not too bad. Cousins several times removed did go to the USA, and some went to Ohio. Conclusion - it's quite interesting and fun, but not to be relied on.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. JimP

JimP LostCousins Member

Previous estimate: New estimate:
    England/NW Europe 45% 52%
    Scotland 29% 32%
    Wales 12% 10%
    Norway 8% 0
    Sweden 4% Sweden & Denmark 4%
    Ireland 2% 2%
    My documented ancestry is almost exclusively from the British Isles, with one Palatinate German pair of ancestors in the 1730s, and one 1621 immigrant to Plimoth Colony who may have been of French origin. My only documented Scots ancestor is a prisoner from the Battle of Worcester who was transported as a slave to New England, but I do have some families that are of Scots or Scots-Irish origin. One great-grandmother was from Pembrokeshire (which would give me 12.5% Welsh), plus on another line I have Evanses and Joneses who emigrated in the 18th century. As for the Swedish and Norwegian, my only guess is residual Viking DNA among my English ancestors.