1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Immigants from France

Discussion in 'Channel Islands' started by BrianTunWells, Oct 29, 2015.

1. BrianTunWells

BrianTunWells LostCousins Member

Because of its specific relevance to the Islands, I am repeating my message headed "Researching the Department of Manche on the Cherbourg Penninsula" posted on the Europe section

The Department of Manche on the Cherbourg Penninsula includes all its records for births, marriages and deaths online. The relevant section of the website comes under "Etat Civil" and you can reach it here Many Channel Islanders can find their roots there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

I clicked on the site but it is all in French.

3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Fern49, If you left click in the body of the page you should get a drop down box which should include "Google translate" click on that and voila!;)

4. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

Thanks Heather, but I don't get a drop down box or show anywhere to change the language.

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I agree does not work in Edge left clicking brings no response, right clicking does but no translate option. Perhaps you need to be using the (Google) Chrome browser? Just a suggestion as I haven't tried it.

6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I dread to think what Fern will learn if she has to rely on Google translate ;)

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes I recall trying to get my head around a Google translation on a German 'LinkedIn' site which was very confusing. Later contacting 'Linked-In' I discovered they offered their own translation service, which resolved the matter. Google translation is fine for simple sentences but when endeavouring to translate convoluted web pages which do not offer their own translation services they struggle. It may however be better than struggling with school boy/girl French.

8. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Possibly. Besides, I expect the Google translations from French aren't as far-fetched, often hilarious, as those from Finnish. Another trick used by Google when the going gets really hard is simply to leave a problem word or phrase in the original language. At least that's honest - help, we give up!

• Agree Agree x 1