1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Wendy Cooksey

Wendy Cooksey LostCousins Member

A graph would be good--instant info and easy to compare

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wendy,

Red Dragon has posted some graphs, they are attached as thumbnails. If you click on them they expand to a size that you will be able to view them.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 36 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,485 new entries have been added and
    • 26 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing. The number of new entries has slowed a bit, maybe something to do with the weather? The census where you are mostly likely to match is 1881, so make sure all your ancestors have been added. I'm currently expanding my 1841 ancestors with the hope that I'll be able to find more 1881 ancestors to add.
    graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  4. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 24 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,130 new entries have been added and
    • 41 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing. This weeks ratio of relatives matched to new entries is 1:27.5
    graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

You'll need to plot average temperature against that as there may be a correlation. Mind you which countries temperature, Aus will presumably be cold just now?

6. Tim

If Red Dragon carries on doing it for a year, then we can see if it's seasonal. :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 30 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,624 new entries have been added and
    • 42 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing. The numbers are up on last week, great job everyone.

If people haven't tried it yet, Alexander has written a great program called FTAnalyzer, the link to the latest download version is in his profile.
    Helps you identify for each person in your tree, which ones don't have a census, and which ones you haven't loaded to Lost Cousins.
    I use this program a lot and I can't recommend it enough.

Tim keeps coming out with these great new ideas and before the ink has dried on the email, Alexander has implemented them and released a new version of software! What a pair those two make, they must be like the Eric and Ernie of the LC Forum! Or do I mean Steve Jobs and Bill Gates? :)

graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alexander Bisset

Thanks Red Dragon, I've updated your post with the link to save people effort.

I've recently implemented Tim's great idea to show at a glance what census records you have still to find for your ancestors. Inspired by this I added a feature so that when you click the red boxes where there are missing census records it opens a page on Ancestry, FreeCen or FindMyPast(coming soon) and shows you the search results on those sites for that person.

This means you don't have to even type in the search to those sites you click a button and it does the search for you. I'd asked Tim to test this but I've not heard back from him since. Perhaps he is too busy clicking red buttons :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Tim

Ha ha, yes I was actually!

The guys are right, this is an awesome program that just keeps getting better and better. I echo Red's words and recommend this program. It is just so useful, in one report (on the Lost Cousins tab called View Lost Cousins Census Report), you can see at a glance which census's you missed, which ones you entered, and which ones you should enter on the main LC site. It also tells you the relationship to the root person which you can use when entering at the LC site. (Alexander, do you need to show the Ahnentafel numbers which can also be added at the LC site?)

10. Alexander Bisset

Added back for v1.5.4.2, works ok now adding extra columns, now that the census info is front and centre.

11. Tim

Awesome, thanks Alexander.

12. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

Sorry its a day late, I think I need to set a reminder!

• 31 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,785 new entries have been added and
    • 64 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing. All numbers are up this week, well done everyone!

Have people noticed the 2 spikes in the graph? Every time we have a spike in the number of new relatives added, we get a spike in new matches? Do you think its connected? The more people we add the more likely we are to match?

There's been over 1,000 new matches since I started publishing the graphs, an average of 84 per week! Fantastic work guys!

graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  13. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I have contributed to the entries in the last couple of weeks but regrettably no new matches as I have been plodding through 1911 censuses on Ancestry simply because they are free, although extremely annoying due to the transcription errors. I am trolling mainly on the fringes of my tree and checking a few of my earlier entries. You might want to plot "freebies" as a a variable in your research.

14. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I'm doing the same as Britjan - adding a few 1911s that I hadn't found before. Also, having just moved (back) to the UK, I am getting use of the public library's subscription to Ancestry and looking up family in 1841. No new matches though....

15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

I set a reminder! :)

• 48 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,906 new entries have been added and
    • 77 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing.
    graph01.jpg

Interesting results this week. Not that many relatives added (I blame the holidays) but new members and new matches are up.
    I think this suggests that new members are matching with existing members?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  16. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 56 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,693 new entries have been added and
    • 71 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing. Good work everyone.
    graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 46 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,287 new entries have been added and
    • 125 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing.
    Peter's great piece in his last newsletter I'm sure will revitalise some people into checking and adding some more ancestor to Lost Cousins.
    And when people discover how easy FTAnalyzer is to install and use, I'm sure we will see lots more entries in the coming weeks.
    Good work everyone.
    graph01.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

I am having a knee operation next Wednesday and will be off work for 4 - 6 weeks so guess what I will be doing.............

19. Tim

Knitting? Putting your feet up? :)

20. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Derrr, Tim....my family history research!!!! :D :D