1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

All contacts are useful contacts....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

I had been working on my Potts Trust relatives when the competition started, and would have added these people anyway, but the chance of a prize did make it a more attractive task. I am not sure what my count was before I started but it seems like I added about 750 people, not all blood relatives, but 300 or so were 1881 census entries. I could not add any direct ancestors, they are all entered already apart from 2 who cannot be added as the census pages for their village are lost.

I did not get many new contacts but data is sitting waiting now and maybe some will trickle in before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The competition winners have all been advised by email. Congratulations to everyone who won, and commiserations to those who didn't win a prize - but hopefully you will have made new contacts as a result.

I will be updating the Match Potential calculation shortly - you might want to make a note of what it is at the moment so that you can compare it with the new figure. The increase will, on average, be just under 2% .

This reflects the improvement in your chances of finding cousins thanks to their efforts. If you have also been adding relatives your Match Potential will have increased with each entry.

Your Match Potential is shown on your My Summary page.

4. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 44 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,453 new entries have been added and
    • 169 relatives have been matched.

A great set of figures. The ratio of new entries to matches for this week was 14.5, which means on average every 15th person added made a match.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
    upload_2017-2-10_11-1-25.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

Thanks, Red - and has everyone checked their new Match Potential? Mine went up from 7.869 to 8.036

6. Tim

Mine did! :)

7. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 55 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,381 new entries have been added and
    • 629 relatives have been matched.

Another great set of figures. Just under 3 times the average number of matches this week. The ratio of new entries to matches for this week was 3.79, which means on average every 4th person added made a match.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2017-2-17_10-46-1.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 58 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,728 new entries have been added and
    • 912 relatives have been matched.

Another great set of figures! All numbers up on last week. The ratio of new entries to matches for this week was 2.99, which means on average every 3rd person added made a match.
    Great work by everyone.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2017-2-24_10-9-35.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

This is wonderful! We seem to be accelerating towards the hoped-for point where you are almost certain of getting a match

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  10. Tim

Not sure that is what the ratio means unfortunately. The ratio is purely based on that weeks figures, i.e. 2,728 entries and 912 matches gives a ratio of 3.

There are 24,766,987 individuals on the 1881 census according to Ancestry. When Lost Cousins has that many entries for 1881 then you will have reached that utopia moment that whoever adds a relative will get a match.

In the mean time, we need to keep encouraging everyone to keep adding, for the benefit of themselves and for us all. :)

11. peter

Unfortunately that Utopian point is still some considerable way away - figures for a single week can be skewed by relative referrals and other matches with known relatives.

12. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 28 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,542 new entries have been added and
    • 74 relatives have been matched.

A bit of slow week this week. But we need to consider the bigger picture. Every week new members have joined. Every week over 1,000 relatives have been added and there have been matches every week since I started reporting. As long as entries are getting added, then it's a good week in my book. And who knows, we might be soon at Liberty's hoped for scenario!
    Great work by everyone.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2017-3-3_10-11-32.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 63 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,787 new entries have been added and
    • 154 relatives have been matched.
    All numbers up this week, so very encouraging. Ratio of New Entries to Matches was 11.6, on average every 12th person added made a match for (at least) 2 lucky people.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2017-3-10_11-17-56.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 98 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,738 new entries have been added and
    • 339 relatives have been matched.
    All numbers up again this week, well done everyone. Ratio of New Entries to Matches was 11.02, on average every 11th person added made a match for (at least) 2 lucky people.

To be fair, it's not really luck is it? To get matches, 2 people have invested a small amount of their time in adding their ancestors and now they're reaping the rewards.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2017-3-17_10-51-18.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 93 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,146 new entries have been added and
    • 439 relatives have been matched.
    All numbers up again this week, well done everyone. Ratio of New Entries to Matches was 9.4, on average every 10th person added made a match for (at least) 2 lucky people.

Another great set of numbers. New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Have you referred someone to Lost Cousins yet?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2017-3-24_10-51-26.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. peter

Excellent numbers - although the number of new members is actually slightly down on the previous week, it's still well above average. Also the new member figure is net of people leaving, so the gross number of new members is always higher.

It will be interesting to see what impact the late Easter has on the figures.

17. Tim

Do you know where New Members come from Peter? i.e. Referral, magazine, Google etc? Is it a question you ask on registration?

18. peter

Yes, all new members are invited to tell us - inevitably some answers are more informative than others. The last 25 members to join cited:

7 Relatives (none used Refer a Relative)
    5 Link from another website - most unspecified
    4 Family history magazine - most unspecified
    3 Facebook - all unspecified
    2 Internet forum - unspecified
    1 Friend (didn't use Refer a Friend)
    1 Other - U3A
    1 Other - Google
    1 Other - unspecified

19. Tim

Well it's interesting, even if it's not as helpful as I was hoping it might be.

20. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 37 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,113 new entries have been added and
    • 130 relatives have been matched.
    All numbers down this week, but still, as long as data is getting added then we also stand a greater chance of getting matches. Ratio of New Entries to Matches was 16.25, on average every 17th person added made a match for (at least) 2 lucky people.

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Have you referred someone to Lost Cousins yet?

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2017-3-31_12-1-19.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1