1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How long?

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by barbarajoh, Dec 21, 2014.

1. barbarajoh

barbarajoh LostCousins Member

I sent away my dad's DNA to Family Tree DNA in October. Going on the site it says results in 1-2 weeks but has said so for a few weeks now? Before I try and find a contact email, does it usually take a long time?

Barbara

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I would allow 3 months from when you posted off the sample - typically everyone orders when there is a special offer on, so the normal turn-around time goes out the window. As long as they've receiveed the sample, which they clearly have, there should be nothing to worry about.

3. barbarajoh

thanks Peter, that is reassuring. Yes I probably did it as a hint from your newsletter so would be a special offer!

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

How did you get on Barbara?

5. barbarajoh

It took 3 months as Peter predicted and my dad has no matches closer than 6 at 67 so it is a waiting game now. Hopefully it is getting more popular in the UK and we will get matches eventually. He is predicted R-M512 and the R1a group have asked him to test for F1493 so we are waiting for that now.

thanks for your interest

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Tim

So was that a Y DNA test you did? Have you considered the other tests? The family finder?

7. barbarajoh

He did a Y67 test. By total coincidence my own ancestry test has come back today ahead of schedule. I seemingly have lots of matches but it is not making a lot of sense. I have always resisted putting my tree on ancestry but I may have to put a private one on. My idea was to upload these results to familytreedna and some other site, the name of which escapes me. Exciting if a little confusing.

8. Tim

I use GEDmatch. It's free and very useful. There are a number of other sites that can help explain things as well.

9. barbarajoh

That was the site I meant, Tim and have just done that. It is all a learning curve but slightly addictive. Which site do you think explains it well (and simply)?

10. Tim

One is called Genealogy Junkie its very simple and down to earth. Another which has a good graphic for explaining autosomal DNA is here.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. barbarajoh

Thank you, will look at both of them.

12. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

My Ancestry DNA test kit arrived on 23rd March, and I posted the sample and activated the kit the same afternoon. Not yet having had an email saying the sample had arrived I decided to investigate. Eventually I found information in the Help section of Ancestry's website, which said it can take up to 5 weeks for a sample to be marked as having arrived. Has anyone had to wait that long?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  13. Tim

Well we are in strange times Susan, due to Covid-19, so post will be affected. My understanding is that it first goes to Ireland, and then is batched up and then sent to the US for testing. If they ship once a month, it could therefore take 5 weeks.

14. Susan48

Thanks, Tim. I had assumed a delay because of Covid-19 but hadn't understood about the batching. An explanation always helps!

15. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I sent a test kit to my cousin on 27th March: he tested and sent it back to Ancestry a couple of days later, the results came in a couple of days ago. Hopefully Susan will have also had her results by now.

16. Susan48

Alas, no - the sample I sent off is still apparently in transit, in other words has not been marked as received. Lost in the post? I'd better chase it up, although the 5 weeks since sending it off have still not elapsed.

17. Susan48

I have just had an online chat with someone at Ancestry about the non-arrival of my test sample. They say to allow 20 working days for it to reach the lab - and of course we've had not just the virus but also Easter - so I've got to wait a bit longer before they'll send a replacement kit or whatever.