1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How long after probate is granted should a will be listed on the probate office website?

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by AlanB, Apr 6, 2023.

1. AlanB

AlanB LostCousins Member

Does anyone know the answer?

And if there was no will, should the letters of administration be listed?

(The person in question owned a house because it's currently for sale on Rightmove)

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Pretty much straight away, once probate is granted. With a will I was involved with a few years ago, it was listed online within a few days. The same should apply whether it’s a will or an administration.

3. AlanB

AlanB LostCousins Member

That's strange then. She died in August and according to Rightmove her house went on the market on 28th February. I didn't think you could sell someone's house until probate was granted but nothing is showing up on the wills website when I search for her.

4. LynSB

LynSB LostCousins Member

A property can be marketed “subject to probate”. Prospective buyers are warned that the sale cannot be completed until probate is granted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CeeJay

CeeJay LostCousins Star

Agree with LynSB. We are doing that for my late Mum's house. Currently in England and Wales most people are quoting 16 weeks after submission before you receive Probate, but I have heard of at least one case where it is still not through although submitted last summer.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Bear in mind that the deceased individual may not have owned the house in which they had been living (or that they owned it jointly with another individual who now owns the whole lot). It may be that the owner of the house was waiting for the occupant to pass away or go into a care home before selling the property.

Less likely, but possible, is that the house has been repossessed by a bank, or was sold some time ago under an equity release scheme. The Land Registry title will reveal all (at a price).