1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Help with reading this.

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by CarolB08, Mar 4, 2023.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I received a death certificate for a child in my husbands line from Chelmsford, Essex today and I am struggling to read the cause of death, I have tried googling what I think it says to no avail, can anyone decipher it for me please???
    The death occured in 1840 and it is something I have never heard of, it looks like Febus Biliorco or Biliovco but Google has no idea, I will be so grateful if someone can work it out for me.:confused:

Attached Files:

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The first word is 'febris' (fever). The second word could be a Latin version of the word 'bilious', but that's just a guess.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

It looks to me like Febris Biliosa - a burning fever with vomiting.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

More information here.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I too could not decipher the Latin, but the moment I read Peter's response - combining Fever with Bilious -that did ring a bell. I recall years ago coming across a 19th century death description, which from memory I think was written (or more like scrawled in Doctors handwriting) as Bilious Fever. I spent some time trying to find out what that meant and recall finding a Wikipedia article explaining it as a sort of 'catch all' diagnosis for many disorders causing vomiting, often referred to as a Bilious attack. I think that as a best guess that is most likely the interpretation in Carol's case.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. CarolB08

Goodness me no wonder I could not work it out I never learnt latin in school !!!! Thank you all so much for your kind help, the child in question was just 3 years old so this illness would have been very debillitating indeed and he was the 3rd child his parents lost in three years. So sad.

7. CarolB08

I must really thank you Peter for this article, it really gave in depth explanation of what this poor child and his parents must have gone through before his death.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1