1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Heartwarming stories in the Newsletter of 22/12/22

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by At home in NZ, Dec 22, 2022.

1. This is just a personal view.

I'm sure the Christmas stories are well worth reading but, the Telegraph is not free to read.

Even though there is a three month free subscription I do not have the inclination to give them my credit card details and remember to cancel later. That is just not he sort of thing I do, for any website be it genealogy or otherwise.
    The Christmas stories will remain unread.

upload_2022-12-23_10-23-53.png

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

My wife doesn't have a subscription, nor has she embarked on a free trial, but she could read the stories. Maybe you were just unlucky.....

3. Just to re-assure myself I have just gone to the Telegraph on-line and it is not free, a three month offer has appeared and I cannot read anything. It's nothing new, I've never been able to read anything in the The Telegraph.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I agree with At home in NZ. Same 3 month offer. No thank you.

5. peter

My wife didn't do anything special - she looked at the headlines on the home page, spotted the article, clicked the link, and there it was. But it's not on the home page now, so I can't check that this method still works, but if I register for a free account (no trial) the link in the newsletter provides access to the article.

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Maybe it's a country thing Peter.

7. peter

It might be, but if I didn't register first I got the same result as the others. It was registering that made the difference.

My wife doesn't remember registering, but probably did at some point in the past. Many newspapers allow a small number of free articles each month for registered users.

8. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I haven't registered for the Telegraph but I can read the articles.

9. It is seeming more and more like 'a country thing' seeing as Helen7 is in England.
    Totally tongue in cheek, can I have them on the grounds of discrimination............;)

10. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I am in Canada and cannot.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. LynSB

LynSB LostCousins Member

I am in England and sometimes can and sometimes can’t.

12. An exception to the rule, if there is a rule.:confused:

13. peter

But not the only exception - I'd already said that I couldn't read the article without registering.