1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GRO update

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by Rhian, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

Good news for those needing certificates from 1917 as pdf files, the GRO site updated overnight and birth records of 1917 and death records of 1957 are now available to order as pdf.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

PDFs for 1957 death registrations have been available all along - but until today you could only order PDFs of births up to 1916.

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/midoct17news.htm#GRO

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I found what I think is my paternal grandmother's birth registration but would like to know what a pdf certificate looks like. Is it an actual registration of birth, giving the names of both parents (if known) and the date of birth? I have copies of my Dad's and my maternal grandfather's and they are long pieces of paper.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I've attached one - it's just really the entry itself and nothing more. Not all that different from when they used to send a copy on the certificate.
    (Edit, swopped it for an actual birth entry!)

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The GRO make it absolutely clear on their website (as I have done in the newsletter) that PDF copies of entries are not certified. In other words they are not certificates. The method of delivery is irrelevant - a paper copy would also be uncertified if it was not signed by an authorised person, and a PDF copy could be digitally signed (although changes in legislation might be required for digital certificates to be issued).

6. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Thank you again. That is what I want to see - all the information. It does not have to be certified, I just want to know if it is the right person. So that is what I will get if I order the pdf.

7. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Yup.