1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Getting the right ref out of MyHeritage

Discussion in 'Key features of the LostCousins site' started by webwiz, Sep 30, 2020.

1. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

This site gives the reference in a different format to the others that I have used. I have managed to decypher the 1911 but the 1841 baffles me (I have not yet tried 1881). Can anyone tell me how to get the ref for LC?

Attached Files:

2. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

The information is at the bottom of the page, but I have checked on Findmypast where it is clearer.
    On Lost Cousins you enter 445 (Piece) 10 (Book) 15 (Folio) and 3 (Page). Hope this helps.

3. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

Thanks Susan

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

For the 1841 Census always follow the advice on the FAQs page here. I recommend you do not take the census references from the transcript irrespective of which site you use, but if you go against that advice always check the references at the first available opportunity, ie by clicking the grey arrow after entering the head of household. If the head of household is not amongst the search results the references are wrong.

Please note that you cannot use The Genealogist as your source for the 1881 Census as they transcribed it independently, and we use the LDS version - for which the best sources are Ancestry (England & Wales) and ScotlandsPeople (Scotland). Both are free.

I don't know whether MyHeritage use the LDS version of the 1881 census or not - perhaps someone with a MyHeritage subscription can check this out?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
  5. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

I don't think MyHeritage say if it's the LDS version or their own. There are 26,118,774 records in their file. A blank search on LDS gives 26,172,851 results, but I am not sure if this a valid way of counting the number of records. If anyone knows of a particular record which is transcribed differently I can look it up on MyH..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020