1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GenesReunited

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by ZanK, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

You are in fact responding to a humorous response by athNZ about something I wrote a week or so ago. I realised we had veered off the Genes Reunited (GR) theme and so decided not contribute further (sighs of relief all round). I followed through with a GR posting and soon after others did the same and thankfully we are now back on topic.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I too decided to leave it, since I never got a straight answer to any of my questions - and that's what today's posting was about.

3. Bob Spiers

Wow, and having said back on topic to GR, I find a message in my inbox from a GR contact and it has been an awful long time since I had one of those. Clearly my recent Gedcom update paid off. Obviously the message is from a subscriber, which I am no longer, so will be able to answer, unlike my recent attempt to answer a very old message which required that I renew my long lapsed sub. I will still ponder on whether to do that or not.

That followed on from a message a day or two before this time via Tribal Pages (TP) forwarded on from someone I instantly recognised as being a 4th cousin, residing in Australia and a direct descendant of one of one of my own ancestors sentenced to transportation back in 1842. All he wanted was a reminder of the passcode to via the Family Tree. I reminded we had swapped emails long ago but clearly he had forgotten that also (Considering he is about my own age not too surprising). So yesterday as a real bonus to the GR message I received a long email from him and learned all about his family, his health and his Australian researches. I knew he was a long retired Veterinary Surgeon but not that in Australia (and I think America as well) he could use the title 'Dr'. Veterinaries in the UK (to use the 'All creatures...' term) are plain Mister as are Medical Surgeons. However not too many of us have extant 4th cousins with whom to swap notes...unless others say different of course.o_O

4. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

How can I let this one pass? I do have a 4th cousin, of a similar age to me, living near Perth, Australia, who is also an LC member. The 'paper trail' shows that we are definitely 4th cousins and we have both had Ancestry atDNA tests carried out but there has been no resulting match identified. That means that we must share less than about 6 cM, unless one or both of us has made an absolute howler.

We have exchanged a lot of information about our ancestors and agree that everything looks good so hopefully we are not mistaken.

5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I too have several 4th cousins with whom I am in contact, including one identified via DNA match on Ancestry just last week, with whom I've been comparing notes.

Quite a few of my early contacts via Genes Reunited were at the 4th cousin level.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Like Bryman I'm surprised by your comment - I am collaborating with several 4th cousins and am in touch with many others. My closest collaborator for many years was a half 4th cousin who I found long before LostCousins began - we exchanged around 2000 emails before her family circumstances changed.

Glancing down my own My Cousins page the first entry is a 6th cousin who is also a DNA match, the second entry is a 4th cousin whose daughter is a DNA match, the third entry is 4th cousin once removed who is also a DNA match, and so the list goes on....

(I should mention that when I describe someone as a DNA match it doesn't necessarily mean that they share DNA with me personally - I manage or co-manage tests for around 20 relatives, most of whom I've never met, but all of whom are confirmed to be my cousins both by the records and by DNA.)

7. Bob Spiers

Mea Culpa, I spoke too soon but I did invite comment from others and I certainly got those:oops: