1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Geneanet use

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Winksetter, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Winksetter

Winksetter LostCousins Member

I am wondering if anyone has used this site to load their DNA. The reason for asking is that I have and have checked quite a few with the cooperation of others who theoretically match to me on the site and have disproven all of them so far thru mutual use of other reliable sites. I suppose I am now skeptical about the value of the site. Does anyone have any experience to share?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I've not used it, but makes you wonder how they can get matches wrong?

How big were the matches, how many cMs was the match?

3. Winksetter

The last one was 20.1cM others were slightly less. The odd thing is that all the duff matches are attributed to the same chromosome. I do not suggest that all matches are erroneous, just that any matches received near to be treated with a good deal of suspicion. After all it is by no means easy to go from DNA results to constructing any family tree. In my case I was able to compare results directly with the supposed match with no reliance on the family tree aspect.

4. Winksetter

I forgot to say that I have had similar experiences with DNA.land. Again I have been able directly compared to supposed matches and found the results “somewhat misleading”. At one point I deleted my Dna altogether and reloaded it from a fresh Ancestry download. It came up with the same wrong matches.
    I am no expert in this to say the least but I would suppose that a dodgy algorithm is involved. How it produces false matches in the way it does, I really do not know.

5. MaryL

MaryL Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

The problem may be that Geneanet seems to allow matches with a lower SNP count than some other sites. My rule of thumb is that a segment should have at least 100 SNP's per centimorgan.

6. Winksetter

You may very well be right. What I thought with both Geneanet and DNA.land was that matches were difficult to find, probably due to a low volume of users. When I deleted the DNA.land match data and reloaded it, initially they had none at all. Then, suddenly, the same old matches appeared.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
  7. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

I was interested in your post so, always looking for more matches, I downloaded my DNA to the site. It is a French/Europe site. I received 75 matches. They are graded from Green for definite matches through yellow to Red for poor matches. I have only 2 green matches 46.9 and 20.4 cM. The yellow matches are between 22.7 cM and 15.6 cM. The red are from 17.2 cM and lower. I haven't found any way to search the results. Some do have trees which can be searched but not many. A lot have no name just saying 'Private'. All in all very disappointing. I will stick with the main sites. After all, having taken an Ancestry DNA test, I can download to all the other sites except 23&Me.

8. Winksetter

I think the moral of this story is to spread it around as much as possible and treat the smaller sites with quite a bit of scepticism. My matches are not very close at all but it is annoying to spend the time needed to research them only to find out that it was almost certainly a waste from the beginning. I use Ancestry and believe it to be reliable but annoying due the lack of chromosome data and common matches being restricted to 20cM. i actively use Myheritage and also find that to be good. Lots of matches from there and it has detailed chromosome data. I also use Ftdna and Gedmatch which are also very good. Beyond that I do not get any value from other DNA sites.

• Agree Agree x 1