1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Genealogy magazines

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by SueMay, Dec 20, 2021.

1. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

Which genealogy magazine do you prefer?

I have had subscriptions to 'Who do you think you are?' and 'Your Family History'. I like both of them but when asked which I prefer, I am struggling to give an answer.

I would be interested to hear what other thoughts on them are.

Also, do you know if the website https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/ has any genealogy magazines?

2. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I do not pay for any magazines. I can leaf through them quickly enough that it is not worth the cost. I download Family Tree and other magazines that I want to read from my library.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I have a different approach to magazines - although I can access all of the magazines I subscribe to free through my library, what I value most is being able to tear out articles and keep them for future reference. In other words it's not what I get from the magazines at the time that matters most, it's having articles and guides at my fingertips in the future.

Some of the articles in my files date back 30 years or more (in those days I used to buy newspapers as well). So far as family history is concerned I don't just keep articles that are directly relevant to my ancestors, but also articles that might be relevant in the future. For example, it was only this year after almost 20 years of research, that I discovered (thanks to DNA matches) that I have Irish ancestry - that gave me a reason to read articles that I skipped over when they were published because they weren't relevant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

Thanks, Peter, yes, I also keep articles which I either find interesting or could be of use to me but I stopped getting them a few years ago when money was a bit tight. Any recommendation as to which magazine you prefer?

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

They're both good magazines - it's really down to you. Why not check to see whether you can get either one free through your library, then choose the other one?

• Agree Agree x 1