1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

GEDmatch

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by raven, Apr 17, 2015.

1. raven

raven LostCousins Member

After reading about GEDmatch in another discussion here, I encouraged my client to sign up and I helped her upload the necessary information to it (I haven't had any DNA testing done myself yet so have to live vicariously :cool:), so now I am hoping some knowledgeable person/people can help me understand the jolly thing!

For example - the Archaic Matches chart. If you look at the attached file (a screenshot of the results), what is it actually telling us? I assume it is the orange areas that are the matches? I did try clicking on the provided link for further information but came away little the wiser :oops:

Thanks for any light that can be shed. :)

Attached Files:

2. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Sorry, Raven, I've only experience of yDNA and mtDNA. With so few replies, I'm afraid you may have to to look for help elsewhere. Have you looked at the Wikitree GEDMatch project or ISOGG? There's also a DNA Newbies group on Yahoo. And Google of course! I think Peter has atDNA tested, so he may have some words of wisdom.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I use GedMatch but just haven't had the time to go and look, sorry. Did you try a Google search?

4. raven

raven LostCousins Member

Thank you for your replies. I shall do more research via google, but I had thought I'd ask here first just in case - people here do tend to explain things so well :)

5. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

I've recently gotten DNA results and uploaded to GEDMatch - it's very exciting, but totally new territory for me. I match very distantly on Chromosome 20, but the graphic for Chr 16 has a wider green patch than normally shows up in any of my other ones - so here's my question:

When I click on the "A" in GEDMatch, and find a possible distance cousin (as in 8.7 cm, 6.7 estimated generations), , do these green things indicate a better match? The chart at the top of the page says (Base Pairs with Full Match = Green)

Hopefully this question is clear - tried to insert an image of Chr 16, but it wouldn't allow me to do that.
    Thanks!

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You'll only get full matches with cousins by chance - for there to be a genuine full match you would have to be full siblings (or cousins on both your father's and mother's side). I suggest you pretend the green bits are yellow.

But why are you looking at the chromosome graphics? I didn't mention them in my guide for beginners (see yesterday's newsletter). And why are you looking at such a distant match at all when you have many hundreds of closer matches?