1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Gedcom question

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Heather, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I think I am losing it !! If I have logged in and am on the forum page, how do I start a new discussion? Also, in the latest newsletter, Peter gives instructions for downloading your family tree from Ancestry to your computer. It downloads as a GEDCOM file, can someone explain IN SIMPLE TERMS PLEASE what a gedcom file is and how to use it? Thanks

• Great question Great question x 1
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

You just did! When you're in a forum or a sub forum such as here, if you look towards the top right hand corner you will see a blue button with white writing that says "Start New Discussion", press that.

A gedcom file is the industry standard for sharing your family tree data between different Family History Software programs or utility tools like FTAnalyzer. Downloading a gedcom file to your own pc effectively gives you a backup, a copy of your family tree data that you could then use in another FHS if you ever needed to.

Peter is talking about people who only use the online version of Ancestry. Ancestry have a FHS called Family Tree Maker and they produce an updated version every year or so. Its a fairly popular FHS and you'll see it referred to as FTM2012 or FTM2014 in various forums here. FTM is installed on your pc and whether you do your work online or on your pc, or both, you can synchronise your trees at a touch of a button. Peter goes on to explain that the pc version has more features than the online version.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Tim, like Heather I don't find it clear, or obvious on how to start a new discussion:confused:. Using the link that you put in your reply to Heather, does as you say, display the
    button. But why is a button not displayed when I log-on to the main page?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tim

Hi Emjay,

Assuming the main page is the home page, then no one (apart from Peter) is allowed to start a discussion there. On the home page is a number of different forums, and once you enter a forum, then you can create a new discussion by using that "Start New Discussion" button.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Hi Tim,

as I read your reply now, within this thread ( Gedcom question), should the 'button' be displayed on this page?.....because it aint. However I have found a method.....
    by pinning your link ( "here" within your reply to Heather) to my 'start screen', I can always use that page if I wish to start a conversation via the displayed button.

6. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The blue box "Start new discussion" will only appear in the sub forums not the top level. Some "forums" are simply title or category pages to group things together it is only typically in the lower level forums that actual discussions can take place.

Please also note that some forums are limited to who can post there ie: they are limited to perhaps just moderators and administrators, you can read and reply but not start something new. However that said this only applies to a small handful of forums the vast majority are open to all members. Note that new members will be restricted to replying to posts until they have reached the level of member (after a week's membership). This is a tool to prevent spammers creating accounts and spamming adverts on the forum.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  7. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

GEDCOM has always been a mystery but I have hesitated in asking about it. I find that people assume that you have prior knowledge of all the acronyms which abound in computer-speak. I use Personal Ancestral File for my family tree, do I need GEDCOM?

8. Tim

GEDCOM (an acronym standing for GEnealogical Data COMmunication) is a proprietary and open de facto specification for exchanging genealogical data between different genealogy software. GEDCOM was developed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) as an aid to genealogical research.

A GEDCOM file is plain text (usually either ANSEL or ASCII) containing genealogical information about individuals, and meta data linking these records together. Most genealogy software supports importing from and/or exporting to GEDCOM format. from Wiki.

You only need it if you want to exchange your data with another application or another person. Peter is suggesting that people that only use online software for recording their data, that it would be wise to keep a backup copy on their pc. Gedcom is the format that should be used.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Tim

When you're in a discussion like this one, you can't start a new one.

At the top of the page at the left, this is displayed

Forums>​

If you were to click on the General Genealogical Queries, that is where you could start a new discussion.

That link was just an example. You need to navigate to the correct area and then start a new discussion there.
    So from the home page, select the area that is relevant to your new discussion, click on that Forum. There maybe sub Forums below that level, if there is then select the one that's most relevant. The button should be there for you to press and start a new discussion.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Great Tim ! That appears to be the default method. You are so :cool:

11. Tim

You're making me blush! ;)

12. Alexander Bisset

GEDCOM allows you to export part or all of your tree to send to someone else; or to upload to a website; or to import into a different family tree program; or to import into an analysis tool such as FTAnalyzer.

If you aren't doing any of the above then no you don't need GEDCOM. PAF is definitely capable of exporting GEDCOM as it was written for the same people as wrote the GEDCOM specification.

13. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I seem to have started something here:confused: , I'm so glad it's not just me that was having trouble working this out. Thanks Tim, you are a star :p, I think I've got it now :D but don't hold your breath !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Daviles

Daviles LostCousins Member

O.K. I must be a bit thick, well to be polite, a bit slow. I have been researching my family tree for over 10 years and have used P.A.F. from familysearch right from the beginning. I have downloaded the programme Family Tree Analyser but every time I try to use it I get a message to load my GEDCOM file. When I think that I have loaded my GEDCOM file, I still get a message that I need to load my GEDCOM file first. So, I did a search of my files in my computer and according to my computer I do not have any GEDCOM files. O.K. so if I am using P.A.F. and also Legacy 8 why don't I have a GEDCOM file. What on earth am I doing wrong? Please remember that I am a slow learner, so please be polite

15. Tim

Hi Daviles,

Firstly, you're not doing anything wrong. :)

At the moment your data is stored in a file that your Family History Software (FHS), and in your case it's PAF, understands. A Gedcom file is a common format that allows you to transport your data between any other FHS or utility's like FTAnalyzer.

Normally, under the heading File you should see something like Export. If you select this then there should be further options to select Gedcom.

But I also notice that PAF is no longer supported and so you should consider moving to newer currently supported FHS.

16. Alexander Bisset

Hi Daviles,

GEDCOM is a file format that family tree programs use to exchange data. So rather than trying to write something that understands PAF, Family Historian, Legacy, Family Tree Maker, GenoPro etc etc I wrote it to understand the common format ie: GEDCOM.

So all you need to do is to export your data from PAF or Legacy in GEDCOM format, as Tim suggests this is typically an option on the File menu of PAF or Legacy. There is instructions in the documentation for Legacy on how to export your GEDCOM file. Note as Tim says PAF is no longer supported but it will definitely have an export to GEDCOM option as it was the authors of PAF that defined the GEDCOM standard.

Once you save the GEDCOM file then you click on the file menu in FTAnalyzer and open the GEDCOM file from the location you saved it.