1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Gas maker at gas works

Discussion in 'Occupations' started by CarolB08, Oct 28, 2016.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

Tonight while looking on the 1911 census I came across a distant relative of my husbands who said he was
    a "Gas maker in gas works at Lord Rayleighs, Terling, Place" ? Now I knew that Terling Place was the original dairy farm for Lord Rayleighs dairies and quite a few of hubbies relatives have worked there. But this had me stumped, why would someone be making GAS on a dairy farm.
    Then I looked at the excellent link to the Index of old occupations shared by RosemaryC and all became clear, I quote;
    Brilliant, thank you so much Rosemary C I would never have thought of that use :)

• Useful Useful x 2