1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM Sync always at orange?

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, May 18, 2023.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have been trying to sync my FTM to Ancestry for some considerable time now and it is constantly coming up as Orange. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes. It says that Ancestry are implementing upgrades. If you back up, you can still sync.

3. canadianbeth

It would appear to be taking a very long time.

4. canadianbeth

Is this also the reason why I cannot sign in from FTM to Ancestry? I do not have any problem signing in to the actual website; that has been working just fine, so why not FTM? They are not upgrading FTM.

5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I am still getting Orange but have been able to sync OK. I've had no problem signing into Ancestry from FTM.

6. canadianbeth

It might just be because my laptop is so old and I was trying to update FTM on it. Ancestry wanted me to sign in and I could not; it was way too slow and I finally gave up. I think that laptop is done. I have an icon for tech support on my desktop but was unable to load it to the laptop after more than 30 minutes after the tech gave me the link. But I just do not understand how Ancestry can be doing upgrades for more t han a month so syncing is still orange.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You will know from other discussions that Ancestry sometimes roll-out changes gradually - this could well be one of those occasions.

8. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Mine is still orange - but I am not having any problems syncing to and from Ancestry.

I was having problems last week trying to delete approx 700 members of a branch I had deemed incorrectly added. FTM kept crashing as I was deleting people, but now I've finished (and replaced that branch with the new, much more realistic one) it's working perfectly as per usual.

9. peter

Can you delete an entire branch in FTM (as you can in, for example, Genopro)? I'm starting to use FTM for some purposes, but would like to know the limitations in advance.

10. peter

11. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Yes... the easiest way I've found is to create a descendant tree in charts [this is the recommended way if you search for it], and then you can select an individual. When you right click you get a series of options to select - person and all ancestors; person and all descendants; all descendants and spouses; all instances of this person; person and non spousal relations; person and all relations; generation; and generation and all descendant generations. Once you select one, the same menu also has the following option: "Delete from File" which gives you "selected persons" and "all people in chart". You can unselect individuals after selecting a group. I was able to delete a couple of hundred people at once using the "person and all descendants and spouses" option and then deleting the selected people from the file.

Unfortunately, I did something wrong and ended up with a whole heap of detached people that I had to find using FTAnalyzer and deleted their branches using the above method, or delete the single people just from the main view.

I presume the constant deleting of people was what caused the above mentioned crashing.

12. peter

Thanks for the clarification. One of the reasons I've continued using Genopro is the ease of cutting off branches - though usually I'm not deleting them, simply moving them elsewhere within the workspace, before reconnecting them with a hyperlink (a trick that Tim taught me).

13. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

The hyperlink facility is what first attracted me to GenoPro and is how I now multiply connect my more than 600 trees (1? per surname) together. Super flexible and easy to adjust if required. I find this facility particularly useful and uncluttered where several cousins inter-marry.

It is a shame that the developers decided to rewrite the whole system rather than add extra tweaks and correct the few obvious bugs. I have not summoned up enough courage to try using the 'new' product, which is now a few years old.

14. peter

Me neither.