1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM & Living persons

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by Bob Spiers, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I am reposting under a more natural heading in FTM as so far have had no response, which is most unlike the forum on FTM topics.

Just a quickie on using FTM - I created a new filtered Tree for my daughter and although things went to plan, I seem to have scores of 'LIVING' persons showing where I require them to be named. I must have ticked the 'hide living' or some such. As the whole filter process was quite lengthy I do not want to start over again. Even my daughter as the 'Root person' is not named. Is there a way to 'undo' and restore the Tree to show everyone living or deceased by name. Thanks

2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Maybe nobody knows the answer Bob :rolleyes: !!

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

When you export trees in FTM there is an option which reads "Privatise living people" - perhaps you clicked that when you created the filtered tree?

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Thanks Heather/Jorghes and yes I did I'm afraid tick the 'Privatise living people' box and, as you say Heather, perhaps there is no way around it. However not to worry because I have, I believe, found a work-around other than to start over again. It so happened that the GEDCOM exported to Ancestry produced the Tree I wanted and worked as I expected an Ancestry Tree to work. Living persons barred to others but not to me the originator.

So after a day or so of finding no solution to my FTM dilemma, I decided to 'Delete' the Tree from FTM. Then (more on a whim than anything else) selected 'Download a Tree from Ancestry' and waited for it to load and Sync. Then -hey presto - the resultant FTM Tree now operated with no 'living person' tag in sight.

It brings to mind that awful saying (to cats at any rate) there is more than one way to skin a cat!