1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTM/Ancestry link

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by chrissy1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

I have a tree on FTM 14 which is linked to Ancestry. However, it now refuses to sync and update the Ancestry tree, giving the message 'Ancestry linked tree: not currently logged in.'

I have tried compacting the file and turning the computer off and on again to no avail. The FTM version is up to date......but if I continue updating it, I may lose all the data if there is a problem linking it to Ancestry (which happened to me previously.)

I cannot see any button to press to log the FTM tree in so I cannot update the online tree and the new online support service by McKiev has not got back to me. (It is not possible to speak to an advisor in person any more.)

I have put a lot of effort into trying to update my tree over the past 12 months but am scared I might end up losing it all now. (The entire tree disappeared on my old computer after I installed an update to FTM, so I had to purchase a new computer in order to continue using FTM)

Can anyone help?

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Check this is set, when it Says Go Offline, that's good. If it says Go Online, press it.
    upload_2016-9-6_14-51-17.png

3. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Link here It seemed to correct itself after a while.

4. chrissy1

I have already done this several times over the past few hours, Tim and tried compacting the file, both to no avail. When I pressed 'Go online', a bar appeared at the top of the screen informing me I am now online, but it doesn't appear to have informed the sync button which still isn't responding. I have also exited FTM and switched off the computer several times and tried again, but still no joy.

However, out of the blue as I was about to give up, on the nth attempt, an invitation to log in to Ancestry appeared on my FTM screen.....which I have duly completed and it is now synchronising.

I think I need to ensure that my tree is backed up on another program as I don't really trust FTM.....and unfortunately my old reunion back up is no longer any use as it is not compatible with Windows 10. Does anyone know if I purchase the full version of RootsMagic, if I can transfer all the media (photos and census records) from FTM, as I have not only inputted a lot of census info, but also lots of photos which I would like to keep? I am more concerned with transferring the photos as I usually type the census info into 'notes' anyway.

5. Norman

Rootsmagic can directly import your FTM data, including images. You do not need to use a Gedcom intermediate step.

6. Norman

Have the rules on the forum changed. Everything I post now has to await moderator's approval. Am I persona non grata? :(

7. Tim

Hi Norman, definitely not! It's just that some sections of the forums need Moderator Approval and others don't.

As you've now worked out, this is one that does! :)

8. Norman

Why? I wouldn't have thought "General Genealogical Queries" was a contentious subject.

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's not - but in the past some people have used this forum inappropriately, hence the vetting. However I've changed it so that only the initial post in a thread needs to be approved in advance. All other posts will be moderated retrospectively, as in other areas of the forum.

10. Tim

Thanks Peter, that will keep the customers happier and my life easier!! :cool:

11. chrissy1

Thanks, Norman. I think I might need to consider that option. Currently I have an older version of my tree on the free RootsMagic program which doesn't appear to save photos.

12. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hi Chrissy, just wanted to say that while it is easy to import into RM without gedcom your images will still be linked to FTM so you can't delete it. There is a way round it but I found it easier to use Legacy which imports from gedcom and 'gather media' into its own folder. Obviously you miss out on the ancestry links though. Just a thought.

13. Norman

FTM puts it's images into their own folder too so it's easy to point RootsMagic to that folder. The folder doesn't get deleted if you un-install FTM. I you're concerned it would be easy to copy/move the folder before un-installing FTM and then point RM to it's new location. That would establish all the links again.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. chrissy1

Thanks, Kate. However, when I tried out Legacy prior to purchasing FTM last year, I found that it kept crashing....so decided against it.
    Norman, your idea sounds great, but regrettably well beyond my technical skills, I fear! I am not too worried about having all the census images copied over as I type details into 'notes'. However, does RM save the photos in the program itself, or does it simply save a link to them somewhere? If the latter, is this a problem for a technophobe if I change computers?

15. Norman

The images are saved in a folder on your computer, not in the program or it's database. As long as you know where, on your computer, the folder is located you can backup or copy that folder and it's contents to an external device before replacing your computer. If you allowed FTM to create it's program data in it's default location (probably C:\Program Files\Family Tree Maker 2014) then you will find a folder there named as your tree name with "Media". I always have my data on a separate disk drive so it's protected from being deleted if the program is un-installed. If you right click on the folder name and select "properties" you will see how much space you will need to have on your backup device.

upload_2016-9-12_15-15-26.png

16. chrissy1

I will look at that, but I am having problems again. Yet again I lost the internet connection and subsequently got a message saying that FTM is not currently logged in and it won't log back in................so I can't synchronise my trees yet again.

17. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Chrissy, I am sorry you had trouble with Legacy. Like you I am not confident, so although Norman obviously knows what he is doing, I ended up manually attaching media to my husband's tree on RM7. I hope you resolve your problem.

18. Norman

The thing about RM7 rather than FTM is that in RM7 your images can be anywhere on your disk. Indeed every image can be somewhere different, the path to the image's location is held in it's database. FTM puts all it's images in a common but separate folder. If you keep that folder on your PC when you switch programs you can point RM7 to it and it will find all your images in one fell swoop rather than having to re-link every single one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. chrissy1

I met someone on holiday last year who is a wizz with computers and managed to finally get my e-mail working in an acceptable manner on my new computer by taking charge of it and he transferred a lot of files for me.......so maybe I will pluck up the courage to ask him to assist me......but I don't like to take advantage of people, as it took him 4 hours last time!! I am not sure where to look for this file or what it might be called.....any suggestions? Will it link all the censuses AND the photos automatically to FTM as it currently stands? (I thought of possibly abandoning the censuses as there are so many of them, as I wondered how long before the program would be completely clogged with census data, as I am currently adding on every 3rd, 4th and 5th cousin removed......though I only include census data for those who are blood relations in general)

20. Norman

Let's see if I can help.
    Open "File Explorer" (you should see that on your Start Menu)
    Select "This PC"
    In the Search box type *.ftm
    Windows will then search your PC (all connected disk drives) for FTM data files

upload_2016-9-14_9-57-22.png

In my case it's found my two trees on my D: drive and two backups on my B: drive
    Select the ftm file by right clicking and scrolling down and clicking on "Open file location".

upload_2016-9-14_10-3-24.png

This will then open Explorer to the location of your data file and Media folder.

upload_2016-9-14_10-5-34.png
    You can then drag the Media folder and/or the ftm data file to your backup location or to a more secure location on your PC if you are intending to un-install FTM. When you drag the file and/or folder to it's new location use the right mouse button rather than the left and when you let go you will be asked whether to copy or move the files. I suggest you copy rather than move unless you will not be using FTM afterwards.

If you use the left mouse button to drag the files/folder you won't be asked. If you are dragging them to a different location on the same disk drive they will be moved. If they are dragged to a different disk drive they will be copied.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1