1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer - Are you using it yet?

Discussion in 'Advanced techniques for experienced users' started by Tim, Aug 6, 2013.

?

FTAnalyzer - Are you using it yet?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2023.
  1. Yes

57.1%
  2. Not yet - but I intend to

14.3%
  3. No - I know everything, I don't need a free tool to help me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'd like more information please.

14.3%
  5. Other - I'm not sure its for me.

14.3%
  1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I had a look around the internet and found CodeWeavers "Crossover" a program for the Mac which allows you to run a whole load of windows programs natively on the Mac. They have tested FTAnalyzer and accepted it for inclusion in their compatible programs list.

I have a friend with a Mac I plan on getting him to test out the app tomorrow and check it out in detail.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

As an "on and off" user since the early days I must admit that the speed that the program has progressed has left me behind a bit.
    I have now started using it again and find the new FTAnalyzer Guide useful (Tim, please place a link here) so will be exploring all the new features with great anticipation especially when you experienced users fill in all of the gaps.
    In the areas I have used to date ( Lost cousins and Census data) it has really been helpful - worth its weight in gold!!!

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Aw come on, its worth a lot more than that!
    Online documents carry no weight (physically) but those of us on the other side of the world greatly appreciate the avoidance of any need for postal charges, whatever the weight.

4. Alexander Bisset

Thanks for the feedback. The guides are linked from the help menu in the program itself, so you can always find them. Although I need to finish part 2 as it's only half done.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I will tomorrow, or later today. It's not so easy from the IPad

6. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I was actually referring to the program but the guides are of great worth as well.

7. Tim

I've added a link, but it's probably better to access it from within FTA itself.

8. Tim

But obviously if you need help to install it, having the link in the program is not so good, so here is the install guide.

9. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

As one who previously kept census and residence facts as 'notes', so FTAnalyzer has presented me with a lot of work. However, as I go through my Tree, I am finding mistakes and incomplete entries etc. Also, I am looking at branches and twigs that I have not visited for along time. When part 2 of the guide is published, I'm sure we'll all make use of the additional features.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tim

You don't need to wait for the guides, there is some documentation online but the Colour reports are really great.

11. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

Will it work if I have simply recorded the bare facts from each census under notes as there is nowhere else to record it) but not any census ref nos? I am still using a VERY old copy of reunion ca 1995!

12. Alexander Bisset

There are plenty of features that will work without you having census facts. It will not be able to guess that your notes are census facts though. It can understand most census references but if you don't have that either then it will simply report it found no census records which would be correct.

That said there are LOTS of things you can do with the program even without census records. That said version 5 also understands Lost Cousins census references. So you could cut n paste the references displayed on your Lost Cousins My Ancestors page and lo and behold it would find census references.

13. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

Downloaded this morning. Left a comment on the 'issues' page. Not fully explored it yet but looks like it's going to be useful.

14. Alexander Bisset

Yes I wasn't so sure what you were suggesting as an action though?

15. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

Just pointing out marriage under 13 is not an error as suggested in the FTA.

16. Bryman

Does this mean that you would like to see varying messages produced, depending on the period involved?

I had always used such messages as a reminder that I should check for slip-ups in my data entry. For instance, taking the date of baptism as being the date of birth might lead to an apparent under aged marriage.

If more specific messages are to be produced to indicate errors, rather than possibles, then might we need some way of indicating to FTA that dates entered are confirmed as correct in order to avoid inappropriate messages being repeated? That might be difficult.

17. MaryY

MaryY LostCousins Member

Where can I vote?

18. Bryman

At the top of this discussion.

19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Surely such error warnings are generated when entering data into you tree software ?

20. MaryY

MaryY LostCousins Member

I can't see any tickbox or radio button. There's a dot against "I'd like more information please" does that mean I already voted (senior moment)?