1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer 5.0.0.0-beta14

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I've released version 5.0.0.0-beta14 of FTAnalyzer for testers to try out. The big new features are:
    • the searching of notes to find census references and create missing census facts which should be a great help to those using older software that ignores the GEDCOM standard and doesn't store census records in census facts. Instead FTAnalyzer will now search notes and sources for the census references thus the census reports should now work for people with older of out date FT software.
    • a Today tab which shows events that happened today (or this month) in the past. These are any fact events from your tree and it also looks up Wikipedia to find World Events happening on that date (it uses 5 year anniversaries rather than any year).
    If you try it out please leave feedback on any issues you find or any suggestions for improvements you feel could be made.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 4
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Alexander, it's looking good. I like the today tab. 21st April 2015 doesn't produce ant results, the progress bar doesn't even run.

Pulling census facts from the Notes works well. Great Job.

3. Alexander Bisset

I'm seeing events for 21st April for your tree. Does this happen after you have been playing around for a while or does it happen straight away. Note you need to click the button for the results to refresh.

4. Tim

Wasn't my tree, it was the one in the PM. It consistently won't work on that date.
    Loaded my tree, it works fine for the 21st. Reloaded the other tree, won't work on that date.

5. Alexander Bisset

It's past midnight so it's AM now is that why I can't find the file you mention? ;)

Edit: do you mean the GenoPro one you have been adding census references to in order to demonstrate FTAnalyzer?

6. Alexander Bisset

Ah ok I see what you mean. There were no GEDCOM events for that period so it wasn't bothering to get the world events. Fixed for v5.0.0.0-beta8

7. Tim

Yes, 21st April now works. When I test various other dates I get a report that looks like this. The last entry appears in this format.
    upload_2015-4-7_8-2-42.png

8. Alexander Bisset

Nothing much I can do about the text output. Its wiki text feed from Wikipedia data feed. I'd need to find something to convert the wiki markup to richtext format.

Meantime I could strip things in {{ }} brackets or <a href= to </a>

Edit : Citation text now stripped, looks a lot cleaner. Still can't do much about quotSometextquot issues. Released as beta 9.

Edit 2 : worked out how to strip the quotSometextQuot text and replace the quot text with ". Released as beta9a.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  9. Tim

Looking much better now. :)

10. Alexander Bisset

Beta 10 now out which reports on Family facts with errors in particular Children status facts where the total doesn't equal the alive+dead figure.

11. Alexander Bisset

Beta 11 now out. Adds two new options one turns off the display of World events for people who just want to see the events that happen from their GEDCOM file; the other turns off the automatic searching of notes and sources to find census references.

Also another new features. Census References that are found now have a clickable link which will open up that census page on the Find My Past website, and thanks to assistance from Peter when you click on the link there's a chance some revenue goes to help support Lost Cousins website. It's beta at present so I just need to test that these features actually work properly.

12. Ian

Ian Member

World Events seems a very useful idea, but shouldn't it include date ranges for some things, for example the Boar War. I am thinking the use is what was happening to this ancestor and their family at this time. What happened on a specific date 50 years after they died is not so useful.

You could also have LOCAL EVENTS - Loading from a user edited CSV text file. This would allow the user to add say cholera outbreaks when they occurred in local towns and cities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tim

That's an interesting idea Ian. So taking that one step further to eliminate the need for another file.

Alexander, what if the LOCAL EVENTS were added into the comments, say something like #LOCALNEWS dd mmm yyyy It didn't rain in Aberdeen today!#

;)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Alexander Bisset

That would be an enormous number of records to process if you wanted to check every day it didn't rain in Aberdeen. Hint we have the Grampian Mountains in the way so the rain hits them and only sometimes reaches us.

The data is a feed from Wikipedia archive - (up to 2012) so it simply displays the text in the article as it was archived. It is looking for a specific date not events covering a range of dates as that's how the feed works. You give it a date or a range of days (month option) and it returns the events in that range. Unfortunately I have no control over what events are returned.

Local events is interesting but local to where? It would be almost impossible to work out where was "local" for a file as most people don't even bother putting in accurate locations. Loading a file is interesting but it would be so very niche and only perhaps half a dozen people would bother I don't see the value.

Note the system picks up all facts in your tree with a matching date so by far the easiest option if you wanted local events would be to create a dummy individual in your tree and add all the local events to that individual as GEDCOM EVENt facts. These would then automatically show up with the existing code.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Alexander Bisset

Beta 12 now out.

Changes since beta 11:
    Changed Double Date warning
    Colour Census double clicks now work for all bar not alive and known missing
    On This Day now requires user to press button before it displays results
    Fixed Census Reference title in facts report
    Auto created facts now give clearer description of whether fact was generated from a source or notes record

16. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I have downloaded Beta 12 but can't remember what I did with previous Beta versions. Such a long time ago.
    Is that documented somewhere? I couldn't find it.
    Do I need to uninstall the existing version now that there is a new certificate? Where do I unpack the download and where do I place required elements? Do I need to do anything to preserve existing files? etc

17. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I had to do a bit of trial and error, but eventually realised I would have to download it as a separate file to my existing FTA program, I presume because it is 'beta' and does not automatically update the existing.

What I have been unable to do is, find out how to use the option of not showing World events
    so I can just view the facts/events from my tree.

18. Tim

Tools, Options, General Settings

upload_2015-4-10_12-24-31.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Alexander, would it be possible to filter out census facts or have the option to just show BMDs ? It's great to have World and census etc. events, but can be a big list to scan when just trying to pick out birthdays, for example.

20. Tim

Got another long report in the Today tab

upload_2015-4-10_14-40-21.png