1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Found ancestor in Army in India 1862-1878

Discussion in 'India' started by CarolB08, Jul 18, 2015.

1. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

I have been lucky to find an ancestor of my husbands who was serving in the Royal Artilliary in India during the period 1862-1878 , his attestation forms just say India between these dates but on one of the pages it mentions campaigns and medal clasps for The North West Frontier, India. I can not make out what it says and a google search for Umleyla (which is my closest guess) comes up with nothing can anyone make it out for me.
    Thank you
    Carol Capture.JPG

2. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Try
    The Umbeyla campaign, undertaken between 20 October and 23 December 1863, was directed against Muslim tribesmen in Sittana and focused on the village of Malka. The tribesmen had harboured Indian mutineers in 1857 and were still resisting British rule over a decade later. The Yusafzai Field Force under General Sir Neville Chamberlain advanced up the Umbeyla Pass against strong opposition. Heavy casualties were sustained during attempts to hold the 'Eagle's Nest' and 'Crag Piquet'. The troops were organised into two brigades which drove the rebels out of the valley and a small party then burnt Malka. The expedition suffered 238 dead and 670 wounded.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  3. CarolB08

Wonderful, thankyou AdrienneQ that sounds very likely to me :) my next step is to try to find out why he was promoted to Sergeant and tried and demoted twice in his career while in India :( all in a very short space of time really.
    Where might I find disciplinary records if there are any available anywhere.

4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I've just popped into the India forum to post a note that the volunteers at Lives of the First World War have been tidying up a lot of links to WWI records pertaining to soldiers who served in that area. There was nothing wrong with the records but some quirk at LOTFWW was transposing surnames and other title information. It might be worth searching for regimental information for the Royal Artillery in India during WWI at that site as there might be a link to historical records* that sometimes stretch back decades. Based on my very broad investigation of disciplinary details during the Great War it seems that the non-commissioned ranks got into a lot of trouble for minor insubordination. Ironically it was this same characteristic which would later have them cited for bravery under fire.
    *If you Google " Royal Artillery in India 1860 -1880" you will come up with lots of links as well.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. CarolB08

Thank you again Jan you are a star :)

6. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Any thanks is due to the power of Google , it could still be a frustrating search and I take no responsibility if you get hopelessly sidetracked.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Fern49

Fern49 LostCousins Star

My 3rd G/Grandfather Patrick Timmins (Timmons) born around 1800 in Dublin Ireland served in the British Army in Mauritius however I cannot find any record/s yet I know that 2 of his daughters Ann, born 1839 & Catherine born 1843 in Mauritius.
    Patrick married Ann Mullally (Mallally) or Murphy ,she born 1811 in Limerick,Ireland & married Patrick in 1832, Portsmouth.
    Ann later married Isaac Taylor, March 1848 Portsea, Ann was listed as Widow. She & Isaac were living in the Barracks in Portsmouth at this time. Obviously her 1st husband had died by 1848, but where is the Army information?
    I have Isaac Taylors Army record/attestation papers, Suffolk Regiment, 12th Foot.
    Isaac later joining the "Fencibles" and emigrated to New Zealand with wife Ann & family. I would love to know what happened to Patrick.

8. geewhiz09

geewhiz09 Member

Found this on FMP
    Patrick Timmins
    Service number 468
    Rank Private
    Unit or regiment: 12th Foot
    Year: 1841
    The National Archive reference: WO 12/2955
    Record set: British Army, Worldwide Index 1841

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Fern49