1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Following a false trail

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

A little ‘amuse bouche’ explaining how easy it is to follow a false trail when researching.

To set the scene, I was carrying out additional research for a friend. He had been born in the Midlands like me, a generation younger but from north Warwickshire and not knowingly related in any way.

I had set out his basic Tree some time ago and handed it over so he could augment same with his own research. Unable to afford subscriptions I pointed him in the direction of free sites, and he had been reporting good success.

To my surprise last week, he sent me something that really aroused my interest. He said he had found a connection to (what he believed to be) my paternal line with a Mary Spires (sic) -mother in law – to one of his own direct line relatives. What is more from the same rural areas of Warwickshire where many of my Spiers families had been born. I couldn’t wait to investigate same.

The Mary Spires in question purported to be the mother of the spouse of his relative. But I found that beyond doubt she had been a Mary French. She had died shortly after the daughter was born. So presumably the father had remarried a Mary Spires.

Research led me to a Mary Pearson marrying a Spires in 1817. Her husband had died in the 1840’s so clearing the way for her to remarry. But -try as I might – I could find no such marriage which was a shame as otherwise the pieces of the jigsaw seemed to fit…and we know she existed.

I was able to show there was no certain tie in to my own Spiers line (and not because of the variation spelling), but conceded a kinship probably existed. However, events were about to knock even this on the head.

My friend asked me to send a copy of a transcription record of the 1851 Census and in so doing came across an Ancestry ‘Corrective Note’ left by another Researcher. This is what it said: Mary Spiers did not live at 35 as shown, but next door at 36 and she was in fact the mother in law of the Head of that household.

This stopped me in my tracks and of course I examined the original again and saw Mary Spiers had been added as a late insert between the two households. It had been taken by the transcribers of both Ancestry & FMP as applying to the household at 35 as a footnote. But, equally and more likely, as a header insert for the house next door!

To cut the story short I was able to establish that there was no Mary Spires associated with the 35 household. The true mother in law was long deceased as was the father in law.

I broke the news that he had been chasing a red herring, as indeed had I, and provided him with image originals to show how it had happened. In fact, had it not been for the kind Ancestry Researcher leaving the note, I may well have been puzzling the whole thing still.

It just shows how useful it is to leave corrective notes in Ancestry as I do regularly. One needs to be certain of facts of course and be sure to check those left by others.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I had a similar incident where I had followed seemingly "general assumptions" regarding some daughters of my 4th great grandmother. She had married twice, and as a descendant of her second marriage, I was interested in finding the extensions of any children she had with her first husband, since they were still blood relatives.

General consensus had the number of children that my 4th great-grandmother had at 3, all daughters. One of those daughters had then (apparently) married the widow of one of my 4th great grandmother's sisters. All of which was confusing in the extreme.

Luckily, when I got one of my first matches in LostCousins, it was to a delightful researcher who was a blood link (although not a cousin) through my 4th great grandmother's two daughters (through their father), who was able to correct the general consensus for me, in that it was the first husband's sister who had married the widow of my 5th great aunt - which meant a potential odd attachment was removed from my tree! (And that my 4th great-grandmother only had two daughters from her first marriage, in addition to the 9 children she had in her second!)

But without that clarifying information, my tree would still include that incorrect assumption that so many people had added in - and since I had added the incorrect "daughter" where she was and it was mostly pre-census - my 4th great grandmother doesn't even appear on the 1841 census - it was difficult to correct this unfortunate assumption (plus, she wasn't direct line and was always more of a side research task, making it even harder to pick the mistake!)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1