1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FMP oddity

Discussion in 'Findmypast' started by webwiz, Sep 1, 2022.

1. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

In 1939 Frank Case b22/1/1866 was married to Matilda J b4/12/1872 . Try a search for Matilda. I found nothing see screenshot. Now search for Frank and there with him is Matilda. What's going on?

Attached Files:

2. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Both FMP and Ancestry find the correct entry for me, with/without full D0B.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Same for me. Must have been a temporary glitch?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

There has been the odd occasion where I've done a search at FMP and got no results, so I've then done a broader search only to find the person shows up within the original parameters. Repeating the initial search then works. It doesn't happen often enough to report it and I can never replicate the problem to do so anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

Makes one doubt one's sanity. I am glad I took a screen shot or I would have supposed I was going gaga.

6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Were you using the app? That might make a difference.

7. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

On my desktop using Chrome under Windows 11. Although I only took one screen shot I tried various combinations, with & without middle initial and/or dob and always got "No results" until I searched for Frank.

8. peter

I asked because I couldn't find that particular search page to reproduce your search exactly. How do you get to it?

9. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

10. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

And of course, normally, when you get "No results" you have no reason to take a screenshot to provide evidence and, in my case anyway I would assume I must have made a typo.

11. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, I agree - you can never be absolutely sure you didn't enter something incorrectly, but when it does happen I'm often pretty sure I did enter everything correctly.

12. peter

For me that doesn't display the search form shown in your screenshot, it shows the advanced search form.

If I then carry out a search the simplified search form is displayed alongside the results, however the wording above the form reads Clear all, not Family tree

13. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

Aha! So I was somehow searching my own tree and not the register!? No idea how that happened. I think I do have a (very old) tree on FMP but I have not updated it and certainly not deliberately searched it, for years.

I would not have found her under her married name.

Edit: Ignore this - see next post

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  14. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

I can get exactly that picture by scrolling the display up to remove the advertising graphic and the bit below with "Your search" and "Clear all" in it, and then taking a snapshot.

15. webwiz

webwiz LostCousins Star

That's how I would have taken the screenshot. So the mystery is not solved after all. I have mixed feelings about that.