1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FMP add new names to England and Wales to Electoral Registers 1910-1932

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I am often pessimistic when hearing of new records being added to this and that Collections (they never seem to apply to any area in which I am interested) so was dubious about clicking on FMP's latest claim as below:

upload_2021-9-25_13-55-43.jpeg *

but how wrong could I be because they have been a veritable godsend in sorting out where my grand parents and great grand aunts and uncles lived during the 1910-1919 period and to see how they moved on to addresses later known to me. Having a subscription I found the most useful thing was to view the original Register to see all (of voter age) living with them and -in one case - the next door neighbours which led to me resolving a quite separate query. I shall now enjoy exploring wife's family and the same generation of grand parents, aunts and uncles about whom she knows very little.

So well done FMP for this latest update.

*the link above is just a copy, if you want to access the FMP page use this link

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You were right to be sceptical. Although there are over 32 million entries that have been added, many of them relate to the same individuals. One of my distant relatives appears 10 times:
    upload_2021-9-26_6-52-1.png

Nevertheless, if your relatives lived in an area covered by the registers in the collection it's a useful way to track their whereabouts during the 1910s.

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes most of the ones I checked were duplicated by appearing in each calendar year, and it seems after about 1920 (if I extended that far) in both 'Spring' & 'Autumn' Registers as per example:

upload_2021-9-26_9-7-48.jpeg

I have to say none of this phased me because (as you say) as it allowed me to trace family movements (and household members). In the case of maternal grandparents to 3 previous dwellings only one of these known to me and before the ones I actually visited as a child and the one recorded for them in the 1939 Register.