1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Flags of the World

Discussion in 'More Resources' started by Jennie, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. MelG

MelG LostCousins Member

Another good flag web site with a search facility is the World Flag Database at www.flags.net.

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thanks to both Jennie and MelG. Great websites. As it happens, it's flag day here in Finland to honour Johan Runeberg, the national poet. His memory is also honoured by a delicious little cake called after him "runebergintorttu". I wonder how many other countries have cakes to honour their great men!

4. MelG

MelG LostCousins Member

Gillian: Apart from the Victoria Sponge Cake I'm not sure what other cakes are named after British people. We did name a biscuit after General Garibaldi, presumably in honour of his visit in the 1850's.

5. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Right, thanks so much, MelG. It's obviously time I paid a visit to England again; I'd forgotten all about Victoria sponge cakes and as for Garibaldi biscuits I had to google them to remind myself what they looked like. With apologies for getting off-subject again.

6. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Peach Melba? Dame Nellie Melba's favourite dessert.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Bacon sandwich gets two with a single shot. ;)

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Supposedly named for the marriage of a granddaughter of Queen Victoria to Prince Louis of Battenberg. I don't like marzipan so the cake is not a favourite of mine. Then of course there is Eggs Benedict for breakfast , a Kaiser roll with Monterey Jack cheese ( named for the Franciscan monks who invented it) and German Johnson tomatoes ( German Johnson Tomato...came to America in 1860...via the German Settlers in North Carolina, it is a long time local favorite in NC...The seeds were brought here by the Johnson family. In those days it was illegal to bring seeds to the new world, they were smuggled into the county in the hems the settlers dresses and false bottoms in their shoes) . Beef Wellington for dinner , and who can forget Pavlova cake for dessert, with a nice cup of Earl Grey tea?