1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Finding adoption info (was It's my husband's fault)

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by LindaB, Dec 21, 2014.

1. LindaB

LindaB LostCousins Member

How do I find information about adoptions that took place in the early 1900s' My grand uncle lists his daughter as adopted on the 1911 census (he was single at this time) and on his WW1 pension record as his next of kin. However, I cannot find anything further about her.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Linda, And welcome to the Forum. Did you check Peter's recent newsletters? I'm sure I read something about adoption?

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There was no regulation of adoption until 1927. For a single man to adopt a child would surely have been unusual: assuming he wasn't extremely wealthy we're left with two obviously possibilities - one is that he's the father, and the other is that he is a close relative (eg it's the child of his brother or sister). So I'd suggest looking at those first.

4. LindaB

LindaB LostCousins Member

It as always been my view that he was Alice's father but without a mother's name I am struggling to find a birth record. He subsequently married twice, had two other daughters and then, so the family story goes went to Australia. He and his second wife did return to the UK, he died in 1968. I never met him and apart from knowing his name my father never spoke about him as I believe he did not know he had returned to the UK. So, although I have found out quite a bit about him the mystery of Alice still eludes me.