1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Find My Past - Family Tree Functionality

Discussion in 'More Resources' started by Tim, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Find my Past now offers to host our family tree. You can create online or upload from a gedcom file. Trees can be public or private.

Has anyone tried it yet?

I'm uploading mine now to see what functionality it offers.

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

We await your report

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

With abated/ bated/baited breath o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone experienced the hints?

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Lol, keep calm. I was kind of hoping someone else was already using it because I'm quite busy answering peoples posts and messages, and moderating!!

So here are my initial thoughts.

My tree took 25 minutes to upload (over 3.5k people).

The hints are displayed in this format, the number in the orange circle is the number of hints found.
    upload_2015-1-4_12-36-44.png

When you review a hint, it compares it to the data in your tree. You can approve or reject it, or select Maybe, which sounds like a useful feature.
    upload_2015-1-4_12-41-21.png

The family tree view is difficult to move around compared to others.

My biggest frustration is, and this is purely from the fact that I have loaded a tree, is that it is suggesting hints for events that I have already recorded and have a source and citation linked.

Attaching records to a person is annoying. You start on a person and it offers you a place where you can search for a marriage for example. The search works fine, comes up with the right couple. It then allows you to attach it to your tree, and when you press the button, you have to start typing in the name of the person you want to add it to!

All in all, if you don't have any Family History programs and only use FMP then this will work fine, if perhaps a bit clunky.

But if you already use something else, there doesn't seem much point in using this as well. If the hints worked correctly, and only showed hints for events that weren't already recorded, then it would have been very useful.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 5
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Tim, very useful introduction for anyone who hasn't tried this out - thanks. I suspect it's aimed more at beginner than LostCousins members, but maybe it will eventually work for us too!