1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Fifth cousins - that explains it!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Liberty, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I did appreciate the snippet in the latest NL where Peter said
    '....of your living relatives who are 5th cousins or closer, 96% are 4th or 5th cousins, and only 4% are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cousins.'
    This explains why practically every relative I have made contact with has been a 5th cousin - there are simply so many more of them!
    And I know I am preaching to the converted here, but it has been extremely fruitful to make contact with cousins who 'only' share a set of 4G GPs. The lines where I have made this contact have just blossomed with extra relatives and information about the ones I knew of. AND this has been a two-way street, with me being able to provide info in my turn. AND the combination of two heads and sets of information has produced stuff that neither of us knew before.
    Three cheers for fifth cousins!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I found a 7th cousin!