1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FamilySearch website issue

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Pauline, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Quite agree it is annoying but it tells me -also reference to Pauline's problem - that there is something different about the current (perhaps new) Family Search site that is affecting some (repeat SOME) people, in some browsers, on some computers. My latest experiment (referred to in reply to Pauline) to use my Win 8.1 laptop, using E11 and setting FS (not IGI) as the Home page seems now to function without hiccup. Perhaps a momentary pause and then it opens without problem.

I tried a search and when the results opened in a NEW window I recognised new formatting that I had not seen before, certainly not when using Firefox as previous. The results were displayed full page, not on the RH side as previous and to return to the Search page there was a 'Refine your search' option at the top of the page. Previously results showed on the RH side with the Search details on the left so this is change from my previous searching in Firefox. Once back to the Search page I could reset and search again without bother.

My best guess is that the designers have now programmed FS to operate at its best in Windows 8.1 and IE 11. I know Win 7 and IE10 brings forth the message 'this site does not support the current version of your browser...' (see previous), and we know Pauline is having some teething problems with IE11 & Win 7 combination. The message also goes on to suggest 'trying a new browser', so FS may also be compatible with Firefox, Chrome, Safari; depending -and this is important - on what version is being used? After all if FS has become fastidious about IE11 in Windows 8.1, it may react in the same way without other Browsers. Perhaps the key is Windows 8.1?

If it works for you then stay as you are, if not try another Browser. (Speaking of which has anyone any experience of using FS with Chrome?) I will not say upgrade to Win 8.1 because I only have that myself by chance on one laptop which I happen to use for Family Search (and note the little gremlin that in Firefox it dislikes being made the home page but works if you go to it from a Bookmark). BUT if you already have 8.1 try accessing FS using IE (11 by default) that should by my reckoning -and until someone says different - work without a problem.o_O

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I use Chrome. What do you want testing? I don't appear to have any issues.

3. Bob Spiers

Very simply go to Family Search (normal not IGI) and see how it functions, how it opens (is there a noticeable delay), does it permit more than one search without going into a sulk? Can you come out and go back in.? No need to set it as a home page if that doesn't suit, but if you do, does that open without a problem?

Lastly check the formatting of Family Search is it as it always appeared before, or is it a recognisably new format such as I describe (Opens in a new window rather than search results being shown on the RH side and search details on the left). Most of all use Windows 7 and report the Chrome version in use.

If you have 8.1 does that make a difference? But if not I will most likely try that myself when I have time.

Thanks anyway.

4. Bob Spiers

Your turn will come:oops:

5. Bob Spiers

I am told via my Geek friends that No-script is a (must have) Firefox security measure, similar to that afforded by taking the IE security zones route, which you have declined of course. I suggest you just check it out for yourself.

Go to (top right 3 horizontal bars) select 'Add-ons' and type in the search box 'no-script' and it should be the top item that shows. There will be a brief description of its functions and you can click on More for a fuller explanation. If you decide to Install it is very quick and you will have to restart Firefox. It then shows with the letter S top right in the browser.

I have installed on one of my computers where I tend to use Firefox and wait to see what if anything happens to show me it is protecting my browsing?

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

:D:eek::eek::eek:
    Nothing and nowhere seems to be the answer. It occurred to me today to check via my connection status how much had downloaded during my first visit of the day to Familysearch and it was well under a megabyte. I may not be on super fast broadband but that is way too small a download to lock everything up for 20+ seconds.

So I reckon it must be the "handshake" causing the issue. Maybe recent changes at FamilySearch mean that the information my browser (IE or Firefox) is relaying about my computer is now causing confusion about which JavaScript & css files etc are needed, and that's what's causing the lock-up on my first visit. Once sorted on the first visit, this gets logged and remembered for subsequent visits, until I restart my computer.

But this is all a bit beyond my expertise, so I may have strayed into the realms of fantasy here.o_O

7. Bob Spiers

Not at all I think you have likely isolated the problem, particularly where Java Script plays any part. You watch one day it will clear and you will probably never find out why.

8. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

I've just used Chrome on FamilySearch.org/search and got the expected search boxes on the left and map for choosing and area on the right.
    I chose England. Put in a search for Stephen Crabb 1736 to 1820 in Dorset.
    I had pages and pages of hits. Did a scroll through to look at various transcriptions.
    Went to refine search and altered the dates. Pressed search and there it was:
    We are unable to display search results due to technical difficulties. Please try searching again in a few minutes.
    I then did a reset on the search and this time chose Robert Crabb, pressed search and there was that pesky (I'm being restrained here) notice again.
    :(

The Chrome I am using was downloaded last night. Version 40.0.2214.94

9. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Patzy, I just repeated the actions of your post using Firefox and had no problems or messages.

10. Pauline

One thing on this - using IE11 in compatibility mode produces the same warning message. So I was wondering if your IE10 might have been in compatibility mode? I suppose IE11 has been around for quite a while now but I find it a bit odd that IE10 is no longer supported.

11. Pauline

I've seen people reporting this problem elsewhere and it seems to happen in Firefox as well as other browsers. So I'm guessing this is another thing that is not browser specific but neverthelesss doesn't affect everyone.

12. Pauline

We can but hope! Ancestry have yet to fix the issue I had on their website and I'm not optimistic they ever will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bob Spiers

That is interesting. No my IE10 is NOT in compatibility mode (Vers 10.0.9200...etc) the one auto returned to after rolling back from IE11. Likely 'C' mode IE11 is in fact IE10 in standard mode? But it does prove one thing with Family Search, using IE only version 11 in standard mode will suffice.

14. Bob Spiers

Yes that formatting has been standard for years until (apparently don't know for certain) using Windows 8.1 and IE11 it has changed to its new quite modern setup. In Windows 7 using Firefox it displays as of old, not yet checked Chrome and IE10 doesn't want to know.

15. Pauline

I think I have this sorted now so here are the two screen shots, firstly from Firefox then IE:

Firefox text.JPG

IE text.JPG

16. Bob Spiers

I don't know how others fared but your attachments were fuzzy and blared in both so couldn't tell them apart. But no worry I know what you mean and see below.

I had a interesting Firefox experience earlier today when I was offered a Beta Firefox upgrade (via one of my utility programs that seeks out program updates and suggests I consider downloading). I accepted the update and the new version of Firefox duly opened. (I remind I am running in Windows 7). I decided to try Family Search which opened immediately but warned I needed to enable Javascript to use. After following instructions I discovered it was already enabled yet after closing and re-openings Firefox the message remained. Then I spotted an orange message at the bottom left that Script was blocked. I noticed (top right) a blue capital 'S' with a red bar through it. I right clicked on it and a message warned that Firefox (perhaps in the Beta version) blocked all scripts by default but I could temporarily unblock for a trusted site; so I duly clicked Allow for this site. The javascript message disappeared and I was able to activate a search (or so I thought -see later)

The first thing I noticed was the new formatting commented on when using IE11 within 8.1. Now Firefox offered the same and I remind again this time in Windows 7. However instead of the word SEARCH was the word LOADING? and try as I might it would not activate the search. So back to the 'S' button at the top, right clicking and spotting the words 'Allow all on this page' I clicked on that. There was a period of seeming inactivity when something was clearly happening (but goodness knows what) the page refreshed and there was the magic SEARCH button and I was good to go and the search results appeared in the new full page format.

The moral or rather the rationale behind this story is two fold. Family Search have updated the formatting on their site based I am fairly sure on people using IE11 in Windows 8.1 and also Firefox in 8.1. Now Firefox with its latest beta in Windows 7 - permitting scripts as above -offers the same. I have no doubt Google will offer similar in 8.1 and either as is or with an update in Win 7. But I am equally sure FS can be accessed as before (Pauline's dilemma aside) using existing browsers (IE10 no doubt with script adjustments as with Firefox) in the OLD format style. Just do not be too surprised if you get some inconsistent behaviour until all browsers are able to access the new style Family Search.

17. Bob Spiers

Print Screen of the opening FS page notice the script warning bottom left and the blue S with red bar at the top. After adjusting to allow all on this page, the warning notice goes away and the S button is clear blue and now permits search.

Famsearch-1.png

18. Pauline

Blared?:confused:

Are you looking at the full images or just the thumbnails? The images are admittedly fairly small and low resolution, but I've checked in both IE and Firefox and the two look obviously different to me. The text in Firefox is somewhat fainter than in IE, looking like bits of the letters are missing - as if the ink was running out when printing.

19. Bob Spiers

Here finally is my definitive testing of Family Search using IE, Firefox & Chrome across 8.1 and 7.

IE11 in Windows 8.1 opens FS with a new look format and offers search results in full screen (the only browser that performs this way). I was wrong in thinking Firefox in 8.1 did this as it prints out in the old format and now that I have tested Chrome in 8.1, that does the same. However all 3 browsers show the same 'new look' opening 'Search Historical Records' page. All give access immediately and operate perfectly well.

In Windows 7 you will need IE11 to access Family Search and I do not have a mind to upgrade (having rolled back previously) so Pauline's experiences must count in this respect. Opening FS in IE10 presents the message 'your browser is out of date' and insists you upgrade or choose another browser.

Firefox (V35.0.1), non beta, Win 7; performs well in old style formatting, both opening and search. Firefox Beta I have already described and after a ensuring script is allowed (see previous) has a new look opening but old style search format. (Beta version not really worth the bother for FS at any rate)

Chrome (40.0.22..)Win 7; performs old style formatting, both opening and search. Encountered no problems.

My conclusions are that in Windows 7 you are best to stick with Firefox (ignore the Beta) or Chrome. In 8.1 IE11 performs the best if you want to see FS in its new formatting. But otherwise both Firefox & Chrome (ensure latest versions for 8.1) perform equally well but unlike IE11 show searches in old format. (In some ways I prefer old style as it is easier to edit your search but there may be other advantages not yet discovered with the new format using IE)

20. Bob Spiers

And I thought I was going well without any 'Malabobisms' - blurred of course.

Check Firefox is later version (non Beta) and are you operating with scripts blocked? See my follow on postings. Also try Chrome that performed well.