1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Software

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Arundoll, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Arundoll

Arundoll New Member

Not sure if you have already provided something along these lines Peter, if so, I apologise and could I have the information again please.
    I have a Family Tree on Ancestry (complete with copies of b.m.d's etc) and wish to keep a copy for myself - is there a suitable Roots/FTM programme that I can use to download all this information. Years ago I tried something similar and the Gedcom would not allow for images.
    Thanks

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Normally it works the other round - you have your main tree on your computer and that's used to create an online tree. The problem with Ancestry records attached to Ancestry trees is that as soon as you stop subscribing you lose access to the records.

I suspect Family Tree Maker will do what you want, as it syncs with Ancestry - but I'll leave it an expert to confirm or deny.

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

The newer versions of FTM do indeed sync with Ancestry.

4. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I agree with jorghes that FTM syncs with Ancestry. I use FTM 2019 and regularly sync my tree (both ways) with Ancestry, which works well. All the images are copied through and are stored on your computer in a Media folder with the same name as your tree. One word of caution, though. If you have images which go over more than one page, for example a census split across 2 pages, or a multi-page Army record, only the first page will be downloaded. If you want to download more, then you need to step through the pages on Ancestry and download them separately.

5. peter

If you can - in my experience it often isn't possible to download the additional pages in the normal way.
    I know, I said so in my original post - but syncing two trees isn't quite the same as downloading a tree from Ancestry, which is what Arundoll wants to do. Can someone confirm that FTM will do this, and are there any other limitations other than the multiple page record issue? For example, will it download images uploaded to Ancestry, whether photos or images of records sourced from other sites?

6. Helen7

I've always done this without any problem.
    Yes, when you first download a tree from Ancestry into FTM, you have the option to download with media. And yes, it will download images that have been uploaded to Ancestry from elsewhere, as long as these are attached to someone in your tree.

7. peter

I'm surprised - there have been many occasions when Ancestry have told me that I can't download an image.

8. Helen7

That's strange, as I just click on 'Save to your computer' from the Save menu at the top right corner of an image page, and it is saved as a .jpg in my Downloads folder, as expected.

9. peter

You've been lucky. I can't find an example at the moment, but they've been all too frequent in the past.

10. Helen7

There have been occasions with FamilySearch where an image has been marked as unavailable for download, but I've never come across such problems with Ancestry (or FindMyPast).

11. Contrary to what Peter has said, I create my family trees in Ancestry then sync them to FTM. (I am different in other ways too).
    I never have any problems with 'media' which is what FTM call all types of files that are attached to people in the trees in Ancestry.
    I have 5 family trees that I have created in Ancestry, they are all replicated faithfully in FTM.

Once you have obtained FTM there are good instructions for what to do to get your family tree into it. You might want to take a look at the McKiev website, which may help you decide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Arundoll

Arundoll New Member

Thank you all for your response.
    I started building my tree on Genes Reunited, moving on to FTW and Roots Magic. I uploaded this to Ancestry where I found it quicker to save and store records on site - too lazy at the time to download to my computer. I now realise that if I cease to use Ancestry, all these records will be lost. Hence my request to find a programme I can download to and keep all the information on my computer and close to hand. However this doesn't mean I won't continue to use Ancestry/ FMP or any of the others. So again, thank you all.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1