1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Software

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by FamilyHistoryGal, May 2, 2014.

1. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

Unfortunately backing up to Dropbox is a feature of the full version only. Otherwise that would have been ideal. I wondered if Skydrive was similar.

2. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Actually I don't use SkyDrive for backup, but I do use it for all the data files. SkyDrive works similarly to Dropbox (I use both) and the SkyDrive files are kept on your PC and get transferred to SkyDrive when they change. As the program has the data files in use they don't get uploaded until the program closes and releases the file locks.

I have a couple of NAS drives (Network Attached Storage) one of which is designated for backups and that's what the \\DataBackup location means. I don't know whether RM restricts use of "non local" disk drives in the evaluation version but it certainly doesn't in the full version. There is an option to backup the data everytime the program closes or the data file is closed.

3. chrissy1

The free RM version says it doesn't allow Dropbox as a backup, so glad to hear that the full version does accept it. (the memo which pops up does say Dropbox is available in the full version only.) I am going to try out FTM this week and then decide what to purchase, possibly alongside treating myself to a new computer. I def prefer Rootsmagic to Legacy now that I am getting more used to the navigation, as Legacy keeps crashing. Maybe it doesn't like working on Vista too much?

I don't really understand what you said regarding the backups, Norman. I am currently clicking 'skip back ups' as I don't know what to do if Dropbox won't work automatically (and I only signed up with Dropbox last week, so I am not that au fait with that either, but it sounds easy!) My idea of back up has previously been to get my OH to save it on a disc or external drive annually/biennially.........yes, I do know I should back up regularly and it's my New Year's resolution to try and get to grips with technology, but it all seems so complicated - possibly as it's almost like the blind leading the even more blind in our house! I know how children feel in school now when their teacher tells them, "It's easy. You just do.........."

4. Norman

Don't worry too much about my NAS drive setup as it was only to explain the \\DATABACKUP location. As can be seen below the options available to backup to are numerous. Are you making backups of other stuff on your PC? Is so I would recommend to try backing up to that location. USB hard drive, external hard disk etc. until Dropbox is available as an option.

upload_2015-6-8_11-29-46.png

5. chrissy1

No, the only way my stuff is ever backed up is about annually when someone else does it. There isn't much to back up though, apart from photos and FH. The computer was set up to back everything up about 12 months ago, but it always says 'back up failed' when it tries to do it automatically every few weeks or so. I am not sure if it was supposed to have an external hard drive attached to save things on, but the hard drive keeps being taken away and used on another computer........so that might explain it. Thought it was about time I started backing up though, so joined Dropbox.
    Out of interest - you have Nicholson files? Where from? Mine are originally from York but more recently from Bristol...........

6. Norman

My MIL's maiden name was Nicholson. She was originally from Grimsby, Lincolnshire then to Desborough, Northants.

7. chrissy1

Ah, prob not mine then and I can't see any reference to Grimsby or Northants in the compilation of Nicholson trees book by the Rev Nigel Nicholson (no relation), but always worth asking.

8. chrissy1

A MASSIVE thank you to Alexander for the time and trouble he took in giving me an in-depth tour of FTM today. I can't thank him enough. What a guy!

9. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Dropbox creates a folder on the hard drive - could you specify that as the place to back up to and then let Dropbox take over?

10. chrissy1

I haven't got around to understanding Dropbox yet, though I have an account, but as I still use the free version of Rootsmagic, it won't allow Dropbox as an option. That is only available on the full version. I am still trying to get to grips with the basics on this computer and manually save my work on an external hard drive before I get a new desktop. I have something set up for general backups, which activates on a weekly basis and is set to save to an external hard drive, but even though I have reset it recently, it still comes up with 'back up failed' every time (and I have had the external hard drive plugged in to the computer). I have no idea why it won't work, but it says the last back up was in 2008! I had hoped this would work as I am trying to get to grips with the hard drive before I attempt Dropbox. Any ideas?

11. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

If by 'reset' you mean formatting the external drive then my advice to check how much space remains on the drive will have no relevance. But if not a recent example where I helped a neighbour with the same problem may help.

I found no less than 3 stored backups of considerable size on his external drive (and there was plenty of other stuff too but by no means as individually big). Two were Norton inspired the other Windows. It was a Norton backup that was failing in his case but his next Windows one would fare no better. I suggested he should keep his last Windows backup and delete the others. The Norton backup went through and I showed him how to check the drive before attempting any new backup and delete the oldest to make room.

A failed back up often (not always) means lack of space so I would check available space as a first course of action.

12. chrissy1

No I meant I looked at where the computer said it was saving the backups and filled in the same information again saying that I wanted backup to go to the Lacie share external hard drive, once a week, which it accepted. However, it still comes up as 'backup failed' when it tries to save it. It def isn't lack of space as I have checked that. I wondered if it was that there's too much to cope with as no back up has apparently worked since 2008 but I have only started to tell the computer to back up in the last 6 months. However, the vast majority of the info will be photos which I have already backed up on the hard drive manually. It hasn't been backing anything up as far as I know before 6 months ago but I have only had the external drive for a couple of years anyway. Before that there wasn't anywhere to back up as I had never used a pen drive (did that for the first time recently) or an external hard drive and still don't know anything about burning a CD...... I relied on my OH, but he knows little more than me! I guess failed back up will happen when the hard drive isn't plugged in but thought it should work OK when it is plugged in............... I give up!

13. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I see you only mean data (documents/pictures) backups not a full system backup which is what I thought you meant so you are right it is unlikely to be lack of space. If you don't already I would advise you to leave your external drive plugged in at all times so that when you boot up your computer it will FIND the drive (and the same thing applies to a printer). Just plugging in when you want it is not good practice and although it may work, in my experience sooner or later the P C will just 'sulk' (which I think conveys its reaction) and fail to recognise the drive until rebooted. This would cause the backup failure. If none of this applies it is back to the drawing board I'm afraid and perhaps someone may have other ideas.

14. chrissy1

Thanks, Bob. I will try leaving the hard drive plugged in - haven't been doing this as I thought it might overheat as I rarely turn the computer off as it seems to have problems finding the internet again after it's been turned off. I like the term 'sulky' - I can understand that!! A sulky computer could well be the problem so I will try following your advice. Now to find out why all my carefully photographed FH old photos seem to have turned themselves into 'read only' files which don't seem to be of any use for putting into my FH program...... I was going to photograph them all again this morning (as my scanner refuses to work) but now the i-phone doesn't seem to want to talk to the computer again so I can't offload them......grrrrrrrrrrr. Not having a good day!

15. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Right click on any file that is read only select "Properties" and untick the read only box at the bottom of the form that opens. You can also do this on an entire folder if the folder contains a mix of read-only and not read only files the icon will be a greyed out tick. Click on the box until it shows no tick then click OK that will then clear the read-only settings on all files in that folder.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  16. chrissy1

Mine doesn't have a tick, it's simply a coloured box, but presumably that's because it's Vista. I have clicked on it and clicked 'apply' for the whole folder and it appeared to be doing something as a green line worked its way across the box which appeared, but then when I went back into the file it was still 'read only'. Not to worry, I gave up and I have re-photographed all 200 photos and they seem OK now as the i-phone is talking to the computer again. I think the problem arose as some of the photos had originated on the i-pad but all had been downloaded from the i-phone, but it was impossible to know which came from where and separate them, as the i-pad and i-phone photos had amalgamated into one file, as the i-pad and i-phone are linked. Next time I will stick to one device only for photographing.

17. Alexander Bisset

The coloured box is Vista showing a mix of read only and not read only on other versions of windows the box is greyed (actually now I think of it, it might be down to the user colour scheme).

The issue was you missed my later comment where I said "Click on the box until it shows no tick" I suspect you clicked once and it changed from a coloured box to a ticked box. If you clicked again it would change to an un-ticked box which is what you wanted.

18. chrissy1

It did click to an uncoloured box - it changed from coloured to clear to tick to colour to clear .......and I did the whole process about 10 times and I tried clicking both the 'Apply' box and the 'OK' box afterwards. When I pressed 'apply' it showed a green line and said 'applying attributes' and I clicked 'OK' but it still didn't work. I then tried the sequence of 'colour, clear, tick, colour, clear, tick 40 times and pressed 'apply' and the green line came again applying attributes, but it still doesn't work. Should it be clicked the same amount of times as there are 'read only' items in the file? Will there eventually be a time when you never see a tick at all? If so I didn't click nearly enough because there are prob about 150 'read only' items I think......

I am going to try to load my FTM today or tomorrow, but want to get all the photos labelled and in permanent files before I start, or I think that will cause the same problems that I am having now.

I have no idea why they turned into 'read only' in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  19. Alexander Bisset

Instead of trying to do the whole folder if you have a single file that is read only right click that one file and select properties. The read only box will then be either ticked or unticked no other option is possible.

20. chrissy1

I have checked the first few photos in the folder and the last few and they are all unticked, but I still can't rotate them to orientate them and still get the message that the file is in use or open in another program (which it isn't as far as I am aware) or 'read only'. Nothing else is open on the computer. Should the individual photos which are not marked 'read only' respond OK to the command to rotate?