1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Software

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by FamilyHistoryGal, May 2, 2014.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

The second issue is inevitable - when you add photos into RM you are essentially adding a shortcut to the photo stored on your computer. If you later move the photo then the shortcut will no longer work, hence the cross.

The "Access denied" sounds like it could be a Windows error rather than RM itself. That is, it could be that Windows thinks RM doesn't have the right to access your Pictures folder. This could be because RM is not being run with administrator rights or it could be your folder sharing settings. I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area but I know these things can lead to "Access denied" errors.

2. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I'm assuming you are using a PC and not a Mac. If so it's probably more to do with the security access rights on your PC. Having said that I don't understand why you can see the images from outside of the program. Does your login ID have "administrator" rights on your PC? If so try running the program "as administrator". Right click (click the right hand mouse button whilst pointing at the program icon) and select "run as administrator". If this works you can set the icon to always use that option by right clicking the icon and selecting "properties". Then, on the compatibility tab put a tick in the "Run program as administrator" box.

3. Norman

upload_2015-6-5_16-19-44.png upload_2015-6-5_16-21-7.png

Couldn't add this after I posted.

4. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

But will that solve my problem, Emjay? I am intending to pay for a new program when I have decided which one best suits my needs, but no intentions of paying for one that won't do what I want, so if I can't decide whether Rootsmagic will overcome this problem in the full version, no point in paying out. I haven't tried FTM yet.....

5. chrissy1

Thanks, Norman. I did wonder if it could be anything to do with this. I am not the administrator, but not sure how to deal with this. Will look again after the weekend as my son is getting married tomorrow. I am using Vista on PC and transferring from a very old version of Reunion for Windows.

6. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Hope all is going well today for your son's wedding.

7. chrissy1

Thank you so much Katie. We had a wonderful day.

8. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Challenge yourself Chrissy - post a photo:)!

9. chrissy1

Apart from the fact I don't know how (to get one on here or get them off the camera!), I think I might be in danger of being reprimanded for being off topic.

10. chrissy1

I have tried right clicking on the icon and clicked 'run as administrator' but it still won't allow me to access the pictures. The only option appears to be anything in the 'Documents' file, not 'Pictures' file and I have all my pics stored in Windows Live Picture Gallery, as it is easy to print them from there.

Is it possible to copy them and have one copy in Documents and one in Pictures? I would have to store them all twice, but that would solve the problem........

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  11. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

You won't be reprimanded. Don't worry. No one's ever cross with anyone on this forum, well almost never. If something gets severely off topic, someone in the background will simply open a new discussion. At least the wedding was a big success; congratulations!

12. Pauline

Provided you have enough space on your hard drive, you can store as many copies of your photos as you like.

One thing to bear in mind is that different FH programs do things in different ways. With some, when you add in a photo, the program will automatically add a copy to a folder within its own data files. However, the default with RM is not to copy the photos but to add a link (shortcut) to where the photo is stored on your computer.

You can change things with RM so that you copy the photos you add into RM's own data folders, but I'm not sure with the latest version if you have to do this manually or can set it up to happen automatically. No doubt there will be something about this in RM's Help.

13. Pauline

Is this part of Windows Live Essentials? I've never used this but I am just wondering if this means that your photos are actually stored online rather than on you computer, or if you need a password to access them. Either of these could explain why RM is not able to access them.

14. Norman

Still not sure what the problem may be but it's obviously something to do with the "Windows Live Picture Gallery". This is a program not a location so you need to ascertain where the pictures are located on your disk drive and then point RM to that location. The alternative would be to copy the files into your "Pictures" folder as you suggest. You can then tell RM the default location using Tools - Program Options although you can have pictures in your tree from anywhere on your disk system, they do not all need to be in the same location.

upload_2015-6-7_15-37-23.png

This link may help.

15. chrissy1

You don't need a password to access the photos and they can also be accessed under 'Pictures', but RM doesn't like 'Pictures', only likes Documents. Windows live Picture Gallery is listed under 'programs' along with Windows mail, Legacy 8 etc (tho' Rootsmagic and Reunion are not listed here) if that is any help. I am currently trying to work out if I can make a copy from the Pictures folder and store a copy in the Documents folder........as I think that would work.

16. chrissy1

EUREKA!!! Problem solved. Thank you Norman. Following your wonderfully clear screen shot above I have managed to work out how to tell Rootsmagic that the photos are in the Pictures file rather than the Documents file. I would have never thought of doing this in a million years (and been too scared to try!) I have now successfully attached a photo of my mother from the Pictures folder and will now attempt to attach a whole pile more without having to put them all into documents. Should I want to attach any documents when I get my scanner working, would I be best storing them under Pictures as well?

Pauline, yes they do appear to be stored automatically in a media gallery on RootsMagic.

17. Pauline

Like Norman, I don't understand why Windows will allow RM to access the photos in Documents but not in Pictures, but if you can ordinarily access your photos via Pictures (ie not via Windows Live Picture Gallery), then it should be easy enough to copy then into Documents, in exactly the same way as you would copy any other files/folders on your computer.

Added later: your Eureka post appeared while I was writing the above, so it's probably not relevant. Glad it's sorted - I think I may have misunderstood a bit where you were coming from.

18. chrissy1

Sorry, I am not the best when it comes to using computer terminology. It seems that I hadn't told Rootsmagic where to look for the photos and it must have assumed 'Documents' not 'Pictures'. The screen shot above which Norman has added presumably shows where his data/media etc is retrieved from, whereas my page like that was completely blank. Now I have filled in the location Pictures for 'Multimedia files', there isn't a problem.

However, my next question is what I should fill in for 'backup' (see screenshot above) and how does that work? What is the quickest/easiest way to back up a file? I sent a gedcom to dropbox when I transfered to RootsMagic, but is there an easy way to back up each time I switch off and where is best to store the backup, as the option to save automatically to dropbox is not available with the free version of RM which I am currently using?

19. Pauline

I think actually it's this that's confused me rather than you! I have admittedly been referring to a manual for a previous version of RM but I am at a loss to understand why filling in this box for Multimedia files has made a difference, as I was under the impression it was just a time saving thing to get RM to bring up this location first when looking to add a photo. It shouldn't prevent you from adding photos stored elsewhere on your computer.

Maybe Norman can explain this. :confused:

20. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Norman is using SkyDrive which is a similar program to Dropbox which I believe you use. In which case creating a folder in Dropbox called "RootsMagic Backup" or something like that would be a suitable backup location. You then just set the backup location from the menu shown to be in that Dropbox folder.