1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Software

Discussion in 'Digital records' started by FamilyHistoryGal, May 2, 2014.

1. FamilyHistoryGal

FamilyHistoryGal LostCousins Member

Please don't tick me off for duplicating a topic. The last topic discussing this subject is closed (cannot add further posts) apparently because a war broke out! ;)

I just want to have a light-hearted discussion about family tree software (that's all). I've used several programs FTM, Family Historian, PAF (now no longer available) and now Legacy 8. I found they all have advantages and disadvantages.

I liked PAF because it was free! ;) I used it to put my hubby's family history on. I didn't like the input screens (not that easy or clear) but I did like some of the reports it produced. As I could no longer use PAF I tried Legacy 8. What I liked about it was that I could use it on trial and if I liked what I saw I could buy the full programme which unlocked further features. I did like it and bought it. I think a trial version is the way to go on any family tree software as some are quite expensive and can be a huge disappointment.

For my own research and input I use a very old copy of FTM (2005) which I love because the family view is so great. I can see everything about a family at a glance. Entering data is easy too. I don't have it attached to Ancestry (though I used to years ago). I recently tried a more recent version of FTM and was very disappointed - so perhaps there is something to sticking with what you know!

Only downside of FTM is that I'm not impressed with the reports. I also have Family Historian which I like because it is British; so no terms that don't apply to the average British researcher! ;) I also like some of the reports it produces too.

What prompted me to use Legacy 8 was the disappearance of PAF. I've been very impressed with the layout, love the reports and quite like the mapping features (though its made me do more work on addresses in order for it to map correctly)! ;) I like the medical section where it allows you to put a primary cause of death plus secondary causes. I like the pedigree report and I like how the family view allows you to see at a glance which info is missing. It focuses me as no other program has done before and leads me to fill in the gaps.

I've already seen the programs some of you prefer but if anyone has anything to add that won't cause WW3 please feel free to add your favourite features of any programs you like.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Well, I have moved on to RMG 6 from .paf (although I still find myself inputting data onto my .paf .....:rolleyes: ). I often find myself wondering if there is a British tree software, so thanks for your mention of Family Historian.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Choosing a FHS is always down to personal choice. I rarely use reports now, as it's so easy to either share a branch with someone or create a file that they can view in their web browser. I also use FTAnalyzer which gives me every sort of data checking that I can think up. Its also been a huge help in identifying missing relatives that I can add to Lost Cousins.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I have tried several but always return to Legacy. I especially like the ability to link photos, files and sound to individuals (or group of people), the variety of checking reports available and the ease with which you can change the "base" person for showing relationships.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

THAT is the key phrase and the point I have made many times. Two different pieces of software I have used both do exactly what you suggest Legacy does, probably no better or no worse. So it is not as if its particularly special at doing any of those things you suggested.

However regardless of what other software is out there, being creatures of habit we invariably tend to stick with what we know. A different program has to offer something really special, or the old program has to become obsolete before people typically change.

The core point is no one piece of family history software is massively better than another, it comes down to personal preference and often the program you got used to first.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I have to agree with you Alexander, it is probably what you're used to, and also the way we record information. I often wish that I had recorded facts differently, but it is so time consuming to change - though I have started to put LC facts in now, so that I can use FTA more easily.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. teachersue

teachersue LostCousins Member

I started using Roots Magic (I think that's what it was called) but changed to Family Tree Maker, mainly because of the reduced or free offers for Ancestry. However, I am working on trees for 14 families (just family and close friends) and I found that the program couldn't handle that many trees. It crashed continually. Following advice from a certain person called Peter I changed to Family Historian. It has no problems with the number of trees I have, I like the reports it produces, and, yes, it's British. I'd recommend it any time.

8. Alexander Bisset

That sounds very very odd Sue. I have literally dozens and dozens of GEDCOM files that I open in Family Tree Maker that people send me to test issues with my FTAnalyzer program. I have never had Family Tree Maker crash in the manner you describe. I could understand if you had opened 14 trees simultaneously that it might crash but that is far far more likely to be as a result of your PC running out of memory rather than any problem with Family Tree Maker.

9. teachersue

teachersue LostCousins Member

No - neither of those reasons, I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to try to open them all at the same time. Also I have more memory than I will ever need (I mean my computer has, not me :rolleyes:). All I know is that it was becoming a real problem and now everything works really smoothly.

10. DianeSG7

DianeSG7 LostCousins Member

I too use Legacy. For years I used the free version and a couple of years ago upgraded to the full. I do like the layout and the fact that you can choose the background colours etc. for working on your trees and families. Useful for when spending a lot of time looking at the screen as you can have the colour you find most restful to your eyes.
    It does have many, many useful features.
    I have also tried other programs and initially used FTM before finding Legacy better suited to my purpose.
    Never tried Family Historian though, I know Peter likes it, perhaps I will give it a go as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I read recently of someone complaining about the media use of the term ‘It’s déjà vu all over again’; and yet it seems very appropriate when I find the Forum discussing the topic of Family History Software once again, as it will no doubt do many times in the future.

Alexander makes the best comment - as I believe he and others did the time before in similar form – when he says :

The core point is no one piece of family history software is massively better than another, it comes down to personal preference and often the program you got used to first”.

I don’t know what it is about your first FH program, perhaps a little like your first love, it is something special. Then wham bam, it disappears; is taken over; re-vamped beyond recognition and you’re all at sea, and need to seek an alternative. Then you compare every nuance and facet of the new program with the one it replaces, and it fails each and every time.

I have such affection for my first FH program (Family Tree Legends (FTL) now quite, quite, obsolete and written for Windows 95/98) that in order to still use it as a day-to-day lookup data base I have had to relegate it to a PC using Vista (it used to be XP) and have it work in compatible mode (Compatible mode for Vista??:confused:) The PC is disconnected from the Internet to prevent its ultimate take over parent (My Heritage) getting its grubby hands on my data. Greater love hath no man or woman!!

Of course I have to keep up with the times and so I have FTM 2014 synced to Ancestry and my own web page at TribalPages where I store data (of course) plus stories, photos and digitised documentation, and not forgetting GenoPro for charts. And yet I still turn to FTL for my first point of reference and no doubt always will.

12. Alexander Bisset

I do hope your wife was your first love Bob otherwise you've got a LOT of explaining to do following that post ;)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Bob Spiers

Shush, such things are best not aired. Mind you I am second time long-g-g married, my first sadly wife sadly deceased, but my first love took place when I was still in puberty...and that predated windows, and come to think of it pre-the Gregorian Calendar (only joking of course);)

14. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Sounds as though you were living in the Dark Ages, Bob:D

15. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I have used Family Tree Maker since it was a Broderbund program, before Ancestry bought it. I also subscribe to Ancestry.co but the UK only as the vast majority of my ancestry stayed in the UK. I may upgrade to a worldwide subscription soon though I'm now coming across more and more Australian cousins descended from one or two ancestors having been transported. I keep the FTM software up-to-date, often by taking advantage of packs that include a free subscription to ancestry.co.uk asthat is often much more cost effective than buying an upgrade version and paying for my membership separately. I keep the FTM software and my tree synchronised with no problems whatsoever. The synchronisation process within FTM is a godsend as it keeps all the data up-to-date and downloads alll the images of documents I've linked in ancestry.

Periodically I export the tree from FTM and include the images which I then import into RootsMagic. I started using RootsMagic when Ancestry took over FTM as it was, and still is, more functional and, at that time, FTM did not yet have the synchronisation option. I use RootsMagic to create the family tree and family group sheets for publication on my web site. The latest version of RootsMagic (7) is excellent at this and even offer web hosting to put your tree(s) on their site. My family web site can be found here to see what RM can do.

16. Sue345

Sue345 LostCousins Member

I use Brothers Keeper, and have done since I first started. I like it because it is simple and does what I want and not what it thinks I want . I have looked at other software, but it seems to me they all try to be too clever. I simply want to store my information in a way I can retrieve quickly. So I use Brothers Keeper like a digital card index. If I want to use the charts, lists, summaries etc I can. However I prefer to design my own trees using Word which takes time but again I can put on exactly what I want.

17. Bob Spiers

That's a flash from the past, and may even pre-date or be on a par with my beloved Family Tree legends (FTL). I toyed with both and in the end FTL won, but can well understand why some would favour BK. Both were simple to use without the bells and whistles of later incarnations.

18. Bob Spiers

Until I saw the light of course;)

19. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

I am trying out a free copy of Rootsmagic 7 but when I try to add photos from 'Pictures' on my computer it says 'Access denied'. However, if I move the photos into 'Documents' it will accept and display them. However, once I deposit the photos back into the 'Pictures section of the computer, Rootsmagic says it can no longer find them and shows them with a cross on them. As all my photos are stored under 'Pictures' and I don't really want to move them, is there a way to get around this?

20. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Probably upgrade ie pay