1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Maker 3

Discussion in 'Mac programs' started by PaulB, Oct 28, 2015.

1. PaulB

PaulB LostCousins Member

I have bought myself a desk top Mac and am in the process of transferring files over from my windows lap top. Has anyone any experience with FTM on the Mac. As all my photographs on FTM 2011 look at a media file I am not sure how it works on the Mac. I have practiced sending photos over but they do not appear as folders as they do on my PC . So when I try to look for all my family history download they seem to be in date order and not folder order.
    Thanks

Paul

2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I use FTM on Mac, but unfortunately have no real experience with the PC version, so I can't help you with that particular query!

3. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

I have recently moved over to a Mac too
    I installed FTM3 for Mac, copied my FTM tree together with its media folder onto a memory stick & imported from there - the Mac imported everything smoothly with all the media links intact.
    Hope this works for you

4. PaulB

PaulB LostCousins Member

Hi pjd what version of Family Tree Maker did you have on your PC Also what are you going to do now that Ancestry are now longer going to support FTM

5. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

Hi Paul
    Upgraded to FTM2012 recently & then the transfer was straightforward
    I'm familiar (happy at the mo) with the programme & not worried about it no longer linking with ancestry - I don't keep my tree(s) online - so will wait to see how things pan out

6. PaulB

PaulB LostCousins Member

Hello PJD
    Did you have to convert any of your files of the 2012 version or just copy them over to you Mac via a stick or hard drive .
    I have recently been to my local Apple shop and learnt a small amount about photos as I had transferred them to my Mac and of course they were in no particular file order as I have them on my PC , but I think I have that solved now. Yes I am not really worried about the sharing on Ancestry the only reason I do it is I have a friends tree that I upload to Ancestry so he can see it as he lives miles away from me.
    Only thing is what happens when Ancestry cut ties with the programme who will maintain it.
    Brgds Paul