1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Maker 2014

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by OnlyMe, Feb 23, 2014.

1. OnlyMe

OnlyMe LostCousins Member

Hi,

Advice needed!! I am thinking about purchasing FTM 2014, currently I have 2011. My tree isn't on Ancestry.

Normally, you would buy the 'upgrade' version but I am thinking of re-entering all my information from scratch manually as I am not happy with the 'sources' which seem to have doubled up when upgrading in the past. Do I just need the basic 'upgrade' version or a better version.?

As you can tell, I'm not very computer literate :oops::confused: so any advice is most welcome...

Karen

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The upgrade version is all you need. Check the various offerings on Amazon.com or similar sites as you can often get 6 or 12 months free Ancestry subscription included with the purchase saving you a large chunk of cash.

Once you install the upgrade you can simply load your old tree or start fresh and create a new tree. The data is a separate thing from the program. In fact you could import your old tree into one file and start a new fresh tree in a different file. That way you could have both open at the same time to see what you'd still to enter.

Starting from fresh would give you the opportunity to tidy up things like sources but it may be overkill as you can edit sources and merge them in the program.

3. OnlyMe

Thanks Alexander. With the sources, if it is duplicated I have been 'unlinking source citation' then deleting one of them - which probably isn't the right thing to do!!

Where do you edit and merge sources? Do you have to do it individually or can it be done in bulk?

Many Thanks
    Karen

4. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Unlinking and deleting is a decent strategy. Before doing that I'd rename the bad one - add (TO DELETE) or something like that at the start. Then you have all the bad sources together on the sources list.

From the sources button at the top of the page you get the sources list. Right clicking on a source in the left hand window listing sources gives you the option to "Manage sources". This gives you options to edit, replace and delete sources. NB. This is in FTM 2014 I can't recall what its like in FTM 2011.

5. OnlyMe

Thanks again!

The problem comes from the days before you could merge media into your tree hence when you do merge you end up with duplicate sources. I always feel that I'm not using the 'sources citation' side of the program properly. Need a workshop! I have delved further into it today so a move in the right direction :eek:

Another reason for starting again, is that I haven't always saved copies of census, parish records etc onto my computer as a back up!! That stems from never deciding on how to store the info in folders re generations, marriages, etc :oops::rolleyes:

Are there any Family Tree Fairy organizers out there.... lol

Karen

6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Did you make the move to FTM14 Karen? How are you getting on with it and did you decide to start again?