1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Name Interpretations?

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Humpty, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Humpty

Humpty LostCousins Member

Family Name Grounsell, recorded variously as Groundsell, Gransil, Gwinnell, Gronnel, Grunsil etc Problem Maria Ann Grounsell gave birth 27 Jul 1853, Lying-In Hospital (Kate). In 1855 her husband James had a child with another woman whom he married in 1858. Have tried all manner of combinations to find death record for Maria Ann. 1851 census has James and Maria Ann living at 13 Nutsford Place, Marylebone by the 1861 census James and his new wife (Mary Ann) are living at 7 Little Dean Street, Westminster. Believe Maria Ann Grounsell died between 1853 and 1858 but under what name is it recorded? Humpty

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

How convinced are you that Maria Ann and Mary Ann are not the same person? Do you have the Marriage certificate for the wedding in 1858 to confirm or eliminate this wedding was indeed James's?

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Who are the Browns in the 1861 Census? Are they children of Mary Ann (assuming she is not Maria Ann* as Tim asks) fathered by James or another (presumably Brown). Is Kate Brown 1854 one and the same as the Kate given birth in 1853 by Maria Ann? If so why does she carry the Brown surname and not Grounsell? As you can see I am confused and once the matter is explained will see if I can help in your quest?

*I notice the two women have ages that equate in both the 1851 & 1861 Census; ie 36 & 46 one shown born Marylebone the other Chichester

4. Humpty

James Grounsell married Maria Ann Pledger in 1839 Paddington, have copy certificate and 1841 and 1851 census. Kate born 1853 is the dau. of Maria Ann Pledger have certificate. Alice Emily born 1855 was the dau. of Mary Ann Brown (formely Groves) have certificate, both Kate and Alice Emily were bapt. on the same day. James married Mary Ann Brown 1858 have certificate. Mary Ann Grounsell died 1891 and James died 1892, they are both recorded on the 1891 census for Westhampnett, Sussex as 'Gwinnell'. This is a lose end that has eluded me for a number of years. Every few months I come back to it and trawl through the records - have decided it was time to seek help. Humpty

5. Bob Spiers

Thanks for all that Humpty, that clears up the matter well. I will see what I can find but it sounds very much as though you have been pretty thorough yourself.

I have great empathy about the variation in Grounsell name spelling. I thought my Fennellow would claim the prize variously recorded as: Fenelow, Fendelow, Finnelow, Finnelon, Finetone, Fineltone ,Findlow, Fennely but at least some clever use of wild cards found missing members but Grounsell ending up as Gwinnell is pretty far off the mark. Mind you I think this is a common demoninator in quite a number of Trees.

6. Humpty

7. Humpty

I would appreciate any help. Thank you for your time. Regards, Humpty.

8. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Thought I had the answer when I found a death for Maria Ann Grinstead June qtr 1853 Kensington but then reading your notes Kate was born 27 July 1853 and so that cannot be the correct one:rolleyes:

9. Humpty

First wife was Maria Ann Pledger m 1839 Paddington, have Maria Ann in both 1841 and 1851 census. James and Mary Ann had 9 childrem 1841-1853 (Kate). James then had a child Alice Emily 1855 whose mother was Mary Ann Brown, both girls were baptised the same day in 1855. In 1858 James Grounsell married Mary Ann Brown and had another child Frederick James in 1858. Mary Ann Grounsell/Brown died in Chichester in 1891. Have copy certificates for all. Where is Maria Ann? I believe she may have died sometime between 1853 and 1858. Thanks for taking the time, Humpty

10. Humpty

Have managed to mess up system!! Are you able to see all correspondence? Maria Ann was born Pledger in 1821 and married James Grounsell at Paddington in 1839. They had 9 children the last born was Kate in 1853. In 1855 James fathered a child with Mary Ann Brown (Alice Emily) both Kate and Alice were baptised on the same day in 1855. James married Mary Ann Brown in July in 1858, Mary Ann died in Chichester in 1891, James in 1892. I believe Maria Ann Grounsell died sometime between 1853 and 1858. Humpty

11. Bob Spiers

How about Maria Groundsell (sic) died 1855 Chichester, Sussex 2B/245..... (DOB unknown)

12. Humpty

Not my Maria Groundsell - applied for certificate, wrong family. This Maria was aged 80. Humpty

13. Bob Spiers

The last time I had something closely resembling your problem (and I posted about that also) it turned out the missing spouse had been admitted to a Lunatic asylum (later of course a Mental Hospital) just after the birth of her last child. But I did not discover this for quite some time and tried to make sense of the husband with a new (supposed) wife and the child from his first marriage. However I could find no registration for the second marriage.

After convoluted research and quite a time interval I discovered his first spouse had been incarcerated in the Asylum for many years and discovered her death recorded in the institution. It was no surprise to find the second marriage registration the year after his first wife died.

As you have a marriage registration for the second spouse the circumstances are different but I mention my own experiences to show sometimes another explanation might have to be considered. What was it Sherlock Holmes said 'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left and however improbable, that will be the answer' (or words to that effect)

14. Humpty

I had thought about the possibility of her dying at the time of the birth or else being put in an Asylum but again was able to find no records. I guess I will just have to put the problem on the back burner and review it again from time to time. Thank you for your help. Humpty